You are not logged in.

#1 2026-04-20 15:54:30

jojo06
Member
Registered: 2023-11-04
Posts: 400

[UPDATED]Cant Get Freedom In Internet (VPNs are not working)

Hi,

I use paid Proton VPN (Secure Core) but I cant access discord. I also used +2 vpn conf too. Still same then I use warp(cloudflare). So surprisingly 4 VPN can not give me geographical barriers/obstacles.

What should I do ? My friends use Windows and use VPNs installed via setup that modify the configuration settings. I don’t really trust those VPNs. Besides, I don’t want to mess up my configuration settings permanently just by transferring files. It’s a free VPN that everyone uses. Also, as far as I know, there isn’t one for Linux.

I’d even be willing to pay $50 a month—or even more—to rent a server that’s as reliable, stable, and easy to use as a computer abroad.

Last edited by jojo06 (2026-10-06 13:58:17)

Offline

#2 2026-04-20 18:03:26

espresso
Member
From: Potemkin Village,Pale Blue Dot
Registered: 2023-05-15
Posts: 88

Re: [UPDATED]Cant Get Freedom In Internet (VPNs are not working)

Can you try another VPN server?  Some have gotten blocked.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ProtonVPN/comm … is_active/

Alternatively, a Wine solution could be somewhat isolated and you can throw the bottles out to sea. smile

Last edited by espresso (2026-04-21 17:43:22)


‘There is no other definition of socialism valid for us than that of the abolition of the exploitation of man by man!’ - Che Guevara

Offline

#3 2026-04-20 18:15:46

jojo06
Member
Registered: 2023-11-04
Posts: 400

Re: [UPDATED]Cant Get Freedom In Internet (VPNs are not working)

I tried a few but only 1 secure core. I will try another servers. GUI is not working sadly. It was working.

I didn't understand the Wine solution smile

Offline

#4 2026-04-21 10:32:59

Lone_Wolf
Administrator
From: Netherlands, Europe
Registered: 2005-10-04
Posts: 15,472

Re: [UPDATED]Cant Get Freedom In Internet (VPNs are not working)

Have you tried accessing discord from a browser while the vpn was active ?


Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

clean chroot building not flexible enough ?
Try clean chroot manager by graysky

Offline

#5 2026-04-21 17:51:28

espresso
Member
From: Potemkin Village,Pale Blue Dot
Registered: 2023-05-15
Posts: 88

Re: [UPDATED]Cant Get Freedom In Internet (VPNs are not working)

I would first try Lone_Wolf's idea, trying to use discord.com web app via browser instead of the native discord app.

By Wine I refer to https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Wine which can run almost any Windows software, like the VPNs you mentioned.

Last edited by espresso (2026-04-21 17:52:11)


‘There is no other definition of socialism valid for us than that of the abolition of the exploitation of man by man!’ - Che Guevara

Offline

#6 2026-04-22 17:05:16

jojo06
Member
Registered: 2023-11-04
Posts: 400

Re: [UPDATED]Cant Get Freedom In Internet (VPNs are not working)

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Have you tried accessing discord from a browser while the vpn was active ?

Yeah it was working. ProtonVPN has no GUI for Arch Linux. Didn't try another server yet.

Oh that use of Wine you refered. I have subscription on ProtonVPN, installed via pacman. Idk how to launch with Wine. But I am able to add servers with conf files.

But later I realize its not just discord, some websites are blocked and some are loading really slow.

Offline

#7 2026-04-24 07:20:59

Radination
Member
Registered: 2024-04-10
Posts: 1

Re: [UPDATED]Cant Get Freedom In Internet (VPNs are not working)

i'm pretty sure discord itself blocks any and all vpns it knows about. at least on the webapp. my first thought would be to try finding some really obscurecore vpn that they haven't thought to block yet.
>t. psiphon user


Iff there is nothing you can do, do nothing.

Offline

#8 2026-04-25 16:51:20

jojo06
Member
Registered: 2023-11-04
Posts: 400

Re: [UPDATED]Cant Get Freedom In Internet (VPNs are not working)

Radination wrote:

i'm pretty sure discord itself blocks any and all vpns it knows about. at least on the webapp. my first thought would be to try finding some really obscurecore vpn that they haven't thought to block yet.
>t. psiphon user

Thanks, I will try.
I will try other servers too as they suggested.

I was hoping I could make a setting in the modem interface or use a specific configuration or configuration chains.
And its weird I can access in windows and not in Linux...

Offline

#9 2026-10-06 13:58:05

jojo06
Member
Registered: 2023-11-04
Posts: 400

Re: [UPDATED]Cant Get Freedom In Internet (VPNs are not working)

Hi,

I thought updating the same topic would be more proper and posting new topic.

A new idea comes to my mind, idk it can be work or not. As far as I know usage of VPN is exchange the IP addresses right ? How about VPS/VDS IP exchange ?
Can I use a server like 1 client only manual VPN ? My internet will browse through/via servers location and its IP address.

Offline

#10 2026-10-06 15:03:33

mithrial
Member
Registered: 2017-03-05
Posts: 172

Re: [UPDATED]Cant Get Freedom In Internet (VPNs are not working)

Yes, you can rent a cheap VPS, install wireguard and route all traffic through that machine.
Maybe your country blocks wg connections, then you're out of luck. Depending where you rent the VPS, you might be blocked by discord additionally.

Another idea is setting up tailscale locally and own a VPS with the VPS as gateway. This way, you might circumvent local censorship, however, still it might be blocked.

Offline

#11 2026-10-06 15:49:27

jojo06
Member
Registered: 2023-11-04
Posts: 400

Re: [UPDATED]Cant Get Freedom In Internet (VPNs are not working)

Vultr, Hetzner any good ?

How is wireguard any different than tailscale ? And is there no certain way hmm ?

Offline

#12 2026-10-06 19:53:14

cryptearth
Member
Registered: 2024-02-03
Posts: 2,366

Re: [UPDATED]Cant Get Freedom In Internet (VPNs are not working)

i used to have a OpenVPN setup to my old root at ovh in france - used it once or twice to get around steam country blocking for two games - but as my current root is in germany, too, there's no need for right now

openvpn requires setup of certificates - i did the hard way by implementing all in java - but same can be done with a few openssl commands and a proper config

as for discord: i dont know - dont use it - but to thier servers you will be a connection comming from a datacenter rather than from a residential or mobile range - could be discord blocking these so you would need to bounce via some residential connection (e.g. some home lab providing you a proxy)

so you have to turn the question upside-down: what services do you want to use and what are thier policies?
if you focus on discord but discord only accepting connections from residential you're screwed anyway unless someone's willing to share thier private connection with you, which depending on country could be quite a legal risk (there's a story about an old lady got charged because thier son used her internet connection to provide a "free internet" node but not setup a proper outbound tunnel - so someone abused that and the old lady was not able to prove it wasn't her ... although i don't know if that story is true) - point is: unless i do a man-in-the-middle by require you to install a CA to intercept your traffic i have to trust you to not abuse my connection

so although i don't want to discourage your efforts but if you have triuble with some service try to contact thier customer service to evaluate your options - only they can tell you what they accept and what they block

Offline

#13 2026-10-06 20:26:19

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,171

Re: [UPDATED]Cant Get Freedom In Internet (VPNs are not working)

Idk at all but from what I found discord doesn't seem to block VPNs?
And since it seems to work in a browser, have you checked whether the app works w/o a VPN?
Ie. make sure the problem isn't somehow the desktop app and not your VPN.

Offline

#14 Yesterday 06:56:48

-thc
Member
Registered: 2017-03-15
Posts: 1,214

Re: [UPDATED]Cant Get Freedom In Internet (VPNs are not working)

jojo06 wrote:

How is wireguard any different than tailscale ?

Tailscale uses WireGuard. So there no difference at all (on the VPN level).

Offline

#15 Yesterday 19:15:18

jojo06
Member
Registered: 2023-11-04
Posts: 400

Re: [UPDATED]Cant Get Freedom In Internet (VPNs are not working)

Its mainly discord for now. But later its something else. Its also for privacy and security.

Now banks ban Proton so we can't use our credit cards to buy premium Proton. Paypal also not working in here. And list goes on.

Its not working with or without VPN on desktop app. But its working in browser with VPN.
Also, even before this—back when I first brought up this topic—Discord wasn't working with the Proton VPN desktop app, or it had stopped working at some point. But I was able to connect from browser.

Im using Firefox Extension which is free which is bad hmm You know better than me. And which means I'm depend on that extension also Firefox browser. I stuck that 1 method only.

openvpn requires setup of certificates - i did the hard way by implementing all in java - but same can be done with a few openssl commands and a proper config

Can't be done like this ?

some home lab providing you a proxy

Or like this ? I can buy static IP service for both my pc and server

unless i do a man-in-the-middle by require you to install a CA to intercept your traffic i have to trust you to not abuse my connection

I didn't understand this ?

All people and all customer service (at least from my vision and from my experiences) are don't care.
Even customs officials, just like an overweight boss does when sucking up to an even fatter boss, pick up the phone and hang up again within a second. They were talking at the moment.
Well no supervise no audit nothing. Regardless they getting paid.

Even when you complain, nothing happens. Moreover, customer service has no idea what they are doing. They don't even understand what I'm saying. Same in IT stuff same in bank same in all.
3 calls each 3 says different. And you have to call 3 or more times to get the real answer. Or they will tell you to wait, it will be done and etc. So for following the process you need to call 3 times or more.
I don't have energy nor patience left. Retarded people ruling the country and companies.

All I want is American internet. Free internet. As every American citizen. No ban no limit. Just internet smile

Offline

#16 Today 04:58:32

cryptearth
Member
Registered: 2024-02-03
Posts: 2,366

Re: [UPDATED]Cant Get Freedom In Internet (VPNs are not working)

jojo06 wrote:

American internet. Free internet. As every American citizen. No ban no limit.

that's a good one

*wall of text cut*

as for openvpn:
it relies on mutual tls for which you need at least 3 certificates:
- ca root
- server
- client
this can be done with a few openssl commands and a simple config

it's cutting down all the other more vancy stuff to its bare minimum crypto + tun/tap virtual nic + routing

but: doing so you will look like to the rest of the internet as living in a datacenter - and although that worked for me back when i used it to by arma3 and dying light on steam i'm not sure if it would still work today
and it likely won't work with a lot of other services because "why originates that connection from a datacenter?"

Offline

#17 Today 06:55:48

-thc
Member
Registered: 2017-03-15
Posts: 1,214

Re: [UPDATED]Cant Get Freedom In Internet (VPNs are not working)

jojo06 wrote:

Now banks ban Proton so we can't use our credit cards to buy premium Proton. Paypal also not working in here. And list goes on.

What "banks", who is "we" and where is "here"? What are you talking about?

jojo06 wrote:

Im using Firefox Extension which is free which is bad hmm

Not all free stuff is bad/nosy/untrustworthy. Not all paid services are good/respectful/trustworthy.

jojo06 wrote:

Even when you complain, nothing happens. Moreover, customer service has no idea what they are doing. They don't even understand what I'm saying. Same in IT stuff same in bank same in all.
3 calls each 3 says different. And you have to call 3 or more times to get the real answer. Or they will tell you to wait, it will be done and etc. So for following the process you need to call 3 times or more.
I don't have energy nor patience left. Retarded people ruling the country and companies.

"Welcome to the desert of the real" - Morpheus.

Offline

#18 Today 19:29:40

jojo06
Member
Registered: 2023-11-04
Posts: 400

Re: [UPDATED]Cant Get Freedom In Internet (VPNs are not working)

and it likely won't work with a lot of other services because "why originates that connection from a datacenter?"

@cryptearth ahh... How VPN's any different then ? Can't I use a VPN service or make server as gateway or such ? It should be a solution, idk...

What "banks", who is "we" and where is "here"? What are you talking about?

They asked if you had tried contacting customer service. Any bank customer service ? All of them. In my country ? So asking their limit or allowing list or ask them to expend it won't work.

"Welcome to the desert of the real" - Morpheus.

Meh hmm Yeah... So no certain solution ? Kaspersky was really good but sadly not working in Linux. Or is there was like it for Linux ?

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB