You are not logged in.

#101 2007-01-22 07:19:19

Xilon

Re: What do you use to play your Tunez?

daedalusman wrote:
Xilon wrote:

XMMS2 and its CLI client ^_^, nice, fast, light, daemonised!

How does XMMS2 compare with mpd, or are they even comparable? I currently use mpd and love it, but I'm always up for trying new things, especially oss. Thanks.

I haven't actually used MPD, I installed it yesterday... looked at the config and decided that XMMS2 is easier to use. The config somehow has too many options, too much stuff to configure etc. XMMS2 has no initial configuration, you just launch the daemon and then add some directories to the library and then you create a paylist and play smile

xmms2d does use a bit of CPU, atm it's using ~2 %CPU and 4.9 %MEM (AMD64 3200+, 1gb ram), but usually it's closer to 0 for both.

#102 2007-01-22 08:12:56

daedalusman

Xilon wrote:
daedalusman wrote:
Xilon wrote:

XMMS2 and its CLI client ^_^, nice, fast, light, daemonised!

How does XMMS2 compare with mpd, or are they even comparable? I currently use mpd and love it, but I'm always up for trying new things, especially oss. Thanks.

I haven't actually used MPD, I installed it yesterday... looked at the config and decided that XMMS2 is easier to use. The config somehow has too many options, too much stuff to configure etc. XMMS2 has no initial configuration, you just launch the daemon and then add some directories to the library and then you create a paylist and play smile

xmms2d does use a bit of CPU, atm it's using ~2 %CPU and 4.9 %MEM (AMD64 3200+, 1gb ram), but usually it's closer to 0 for both.

Well thats not too bad, mpd uses about 1% cpu on my althon64 x2 4200+ so I would think that xmms2 would be about the same. I might have to check it out.

#103 2007-01-29 00:01:58

strummer

Amarok.. Maybe the greatest program ever written, too bad it's quite heavy..

However, right now I'm using ncmpc. That's because I wanted to listen a concept album I haven't heard before (Operation:Mindcime ny Queensrÿche). And I wanted it to be perfect, so no gaps wink I tried to configure Amarok to use gapless mixing, I guess thats possible, but it was just easier to use mpd.

I like ncmpc BTW, maybe after I install some last.fm submit thingy I can use it more. Gonna try cmus also.

P4 530J, Arch Linux

#104 2007-01-29 16:19:50

Mozz

I think I will ask my question here. Sonata seems to be nice program but I wonder is there any way to search songs from playlist in Sonata?

#105 2007-01-29 20:36:11

stonecrest

Mozz wrote:

I think I will ask my question here. Sonata seems to be nice program but I wonder is there any way to search songs from playlist in Sonata?

If I'm understanding you correctly, this may be of interest to you: http://niechift.com/vex/sonata/
Sonata doesn't have anything like this by default though, no.

I am a gated community.

#106 2007-01-29 21:25:46

Mozz

stonecrest wrote:
Mozz wrote:

If I'm understanding you correctly, this may be of interest to you: http://niechift.com/vex/sonata/
Sonata doesn't have anything like this by default though, no.

Big thanks! That was what I meant. I will test it soon.

#107 2007-03-11 01:11:48

gunnix
Website

I used cplay a lot in console, now cmus mostly, tried out mocp which seems nice as well. I don't like mpd + ncmpc because I think it's to confusing, to much hassle to use a deamon just to play some music sometimes in my case.

I use xmms when I want a gui with mouse.

I did try to find out which musicplayer uses fewest resources as I've been busy trying to get most out of a p1 and surprisingly it's xmms which uses fewest (X has to run ofcourse..) when I can trust the numbers from "ps aux". mp3blaster uses second fewest, then madplay with downsample and mono options...

Anyone know any other little resource using music players?

As is true for most people I know, I've always loved learning. As is also true for most people I know, I always hated school. Why is that?

#108 2007-03-11 01:17:57

chaosgeisterchen

Amarok. And my iPod. Depends on where and how I want to listen to music.

celestary
Intel Core2Duo E6300 @ 1.86 GHz
kernel26
KDEmod current repository

#109 2007-03-11 10:50:49

arvster
Website

I also mainly use Amarok. It is heavy and needs quite a lot of resources, however its music management features and easy way that it offers to send songs to my mp3 player kills all the disadvantages. If I want just a quick song preview I fire up the good old XMMS. When I was on a Gnome based distro, I used to use Exaile. It is also a good player, but since I installed Arch and went back to KDE, Amarok replaced it again. It is still a good Amarok-type player though.

Last edited by arvster (2007-03-11 10:55:09)

Board footer