You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-06 21:20:38

bjesus

Odd networking problems...

Hey.
I bought myself a new Dell Inspirion 6400 few days ago, wiped the hard-disk and installed Arch. This is the first time I'm using the distro, so eventhough I'm a long-time linux user, in a way - I'm a newbie here.

After installing Arch, I used pacman to download and install a few packages. This didn't work as it should - speed was very low ( ~ 2 K/s, for cables), and after a few seconds it went to 0 K/s. Sometimes I gets a few bytes, but overall it takes ages to download even the smallest file. Installing X took a long time, but now everything I even stranger.

I've used Debian before, and didn't have any sort of this problem. I read about the thing with Window Scaling in the new kernel - messing with the TCP settings didn't do much of a different.

I was about to give up, but after I installed Xorg I noticed that when I download files using Firefox (Bon Echo?) the speed is, for the first time, as usual. Running pacman in aterm stays slow. I've found myself downloading packages using Firefox and then installing them manually - but this is not a pleasure.

So the current situation: Internet is damn slow and almost unusable in the shell (Including X-term's), but it does work as it should in Firefox.

Anyone got a clue?

Thanks a lot! (and sorry for my not-so-great English)

Yo'av.

Last edited by bjesus (2007-04-06 21:22:55)

#2 2007-04-06 21:33:38

junglepeanut
Website

Re: Odd networking problems...

ftp.archlinux.org

forum = search  term "throttling". Then rank mirrors if this is only with pacman.

#3 2007-04-06 22:23:35

bjesus

I don't quite understand. I searched the forum for throttling and I found that I should basically rank my mirrors. Since I'm using pacman 2.9.8 - I don't have rankmirrors. So I tired upgrading to pacman 3 - I enabled the testing repo and ran "pacman -Sy pacman". Now it's working on it (it's taking a loooooong time), but I'm not quite sure it's the problem.

No matter when mirror I use - after a few seconds the download rate get to 0 K/s and from time to time it pop up for a few bytes. Afterwards, when I check the mirrors with wget by myself - I get the same error (and with firefox too), but beforehand the server were responsive.

I'm getting really confused. What are the chances that none of server are okay for me? What am I missing?

Thanks!

#4 2007-04-06 22:34:28

Mikko777

Well IPv6 support made my laptop internetconnection slow and unresponsive, try disabling that.

Hostname set?

bad drivers?

thats all I can think off.

Oh do you have some weird configs left from the old distro?

Last edited by Mikko777 (2007-04-06 22:36:51)

#5 2007-04-06 22:47:50

bjesus

IPv6 is disabled, I believe (I've got "alias net-pf-10 off" in my modprobe.conf)

Hostname is set (in /etc/hosts and /etc/rc.conf )

I don't know about the drivers but in all the documents about Inspirion 6400 and linux no-one mentioned anything about that.

Also, I don't have any configs left - it's a new computer and I formated everything... sad

#6 2007-04-08 14:01:27

_alexmyself

you have to use another mirrors than the default ones, all ftp.arch.org are voluntary slow.

pacman will uses the first available line in its /etc/pacman.d/* files, so just put a "#" at the beginning of lines you want to disable

#7 2007-04-09 03:20:35

junglepeanut
Website

try also posting your pacman.conf and one of the new rankmirrors configs. Also some are slow but rank should have put the fastest at the top.

#8 2007-04-11 01:08:15

bjesus

Thanks. I tried other mirrors and at last it worked. Also, I started using Aria2 and now downloads are much faster.

Board footer