You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-31 21:03:04

FUBAR
Website

Setting up a mail server

I need some help setting up my mail server. I've given this a few attempts in the past but I always failed along the way because I didn't quite grasp the complete picture of mail serving. With the help of my collegues I've made some progress the last few days.

My setup:
So far I've been able to have fetchmail grab my mail from various POP3 accounts. fetchmail feeds the messages to procmail which drops them in the appropriate IMAP folder. This allows me to read all my mail with a single mutt instance because of the neat (sub)folders IMAP provides. My IMAP server is dovecot.

What I'm trying to do

Recieving
Now, I'd like to have postfix as a full blown SMTP server (postfix) to recieve mail directed to my domain (foobar.com). I want to be able to easily create virtual mailboxes belonging to a single user (e.g. foo@foobar.com, bar@foobar.com and god@foobar.com all point to foo@foobar.com). Maybe in the not so distant future even create extra users.

Sending
I'm on a DSL-connection with a dynamic IP. I've registered a domainname with DynDNS (foobar.dyndns.com) pointing to foobar.com. I know every SMTP server rejects email from a dynamic IP, which is why I'm going to use my ISP's mail relay (relay.foobarisp.com) to actually send my mail.
On top of that, an IMAP server seems very handy for storing syslog messages from my computers on the LAN. So postfix should deliver those aswell to dovecot.

Anti-spam/virus
Obviously I can't have any unwanted mail. I was thinking about amavis together with ClamAV and SpamAssassin (and Razor, pyzor, ... if it's not too complicated).

The actual problem
How do I best accomplish this? Maybe my post is a bit incoherent, I've been trying pretty hard the last few days. I even dreamt about mail servers last night. sad Maybe simply posting this already helped. Any other help is gladly appreciated aswell!

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#2 2007-04-18 15:00:48

hypermegachi

Re: Setting up a mail server

there are a lot of very extensive tutorials to be found on the web.  the ones tailored to debian/ubuntu appear to be the most indepth.

Board footer