You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-19 17:17:47

Mikko777

[Solved] Xrdp or FreeNX

Anyone tried this?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xrdp/

Doesn't seem to be a package in aur.

Lets windows connect to linux via RDP, ie we got rdesktop which is great but any way to do it vice versa?

Sure theres vnc and freenx but i think that would be faster or am i wrong?

Last edited by Mikko777 (2007-04-26 21:06:38)

#2 2007-04-20 16:50:01

The_Nerd
Website

Re: [Solved] Xrdp or FreeNX

I have been using this for a while now as here at college. Our network guys only allow rdp traffic for remote systems, they block everything else such as ssh, vnc etc. I have not created a pkgbuild, though it would be easy to do so, I just downloaded the sources and did the dirty install (aka without pacman) and it works alright. The one thing I had trouble with was getting "sesman" to work. It kept giving me some odd segfault that I didn't feel like dealing with. Instead, when you log into the computer, it lets you use "sesman", OR vnc. So, I keep an x11vnc session running with a password on my desktop, and then I use xrdp to get into that.

I don't notice any speed increase or anything of the sort, but if "sesman" was to work, it would be a possibility I imagine.

Come this summer, I plan on making a pkgbuild and dropping the programmer a few e-mails to try to fix the problem with sesman, but if you are looking for a speedup, I'm not so sure its the best solution right now.

Good luck!

#3 2007-04-20 17:37:07

Mikko777

Ok thanks for reply.

Been fighting with freenx and messing the keys to a point of fubar.

Guess I'll take your word for the not speeding things up, just seemed as a way simpler way than vnc/freenx.

So back to fighting with freenx smile

#4 2007-04-23 12:16:13

The_Nerd
Website

Drop me an e-mail if you need help with freenx, I have it setup on 3 systems running fine!

#5 2007-04-26 18:59:10

Mikko777

The_Nerd wrote:

Drop me an e-mail if you need help with freenx, I have it setup on 3 systems running fine!

Well instead of emailing you... I whine here for every1 to see smile

I'm too stupid to configure this! And lazy too! Am I supposed to get freenx working with those wiki instructions?

I've messed with both ssh and freenx server and clients and nomachine key and defaults and whatnot settings...
Still no sugar!

I'm not a network wizard and don't want to completely mess up security so I need help ^^

Situation so far: installation was easy, connecting ain't. Troubleshooting horrible.

-So client connection never succeeds and whines about some /opt/kde-settings/configs not found, I'm using gnome.

-Real issue I think is that ssh connection fails when i try to ssh nx@localhost passwords fail and when i disable password the key fails...

So a clear picture of what i need to do or working config files would be appreciated. nx and ssh config files are just way too cryptic and scary for me to mess with smile

EDIT:

Oh I do get SSH to work just fine, not that stupid, just that weird nx username and keys cause problems me thinks.

Last edited by Mikko777 (2007-04-26 19:01:08)

#6 2007-04-26 19:35:41

luke

This may be the wrong answer...

For me to get FreeNX to work (with the NoMachine client) (I get the same error you described), I have to manually edit

/etc/NX/bin/nxloadconfig

and comment out the lines 284, 285, 286.

These lines start with:

[ -z "$KDE_PRINTRC"...

I don't remember where I saw this fix, but it was on the KDE / freenx list I think.

Anyone got a better fix?

Other than that, I only used the wiki article and everything works fine.

#7 2007-04-26 21:06:05

Mikko777

Luke <3 <3 <3 big_smile

Damn that worked! Was driving me nuts, now I love you more than mrGreen ^^

...I still think that the Wiki is a bit confusing tho smile

#8 2007-04-27 16:43:02

luke

Well...MrGreen is still the man, but thanks. Glad I could help.

And, Yes, the wiki is a bit confusing.

Last edited by luke (2007-04-27 16:43:25)

Board footer