You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-04 22:02:19

flex_strongo

MySql help

Hey Guys....I can't connect my localhost to MySQL...I keep getting this error:
"Host 'resnet.ohio-state.edu' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server"

I've been trying to add stuff to my hosts.allow file but nothings worked. Any ideas?

#2 2004-05-04 22:19:07

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: MySql help

I think its the permissions for your user on the MySQL server. Can you connect as root, or not at all? Look at the MySQL documentation under user management.

I don't have time to look anything up, but from memory, when you set up permissions for a user, you have to set the hostname they can connect from. If this isn't set to your hostname (or a wildcard that matches it, you can't connect.

Look at the steps in the apache and mysql section for setting up your hostname here:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Apa … nd%20MySQL

Also, have you tried logging in using the -h option as described in step 7 of the mysql section of that page?

Dusty

#3 2004-05-04 22:23:50

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

You might also want to check /etc/my.cnf for the skip-networing option.  If it's uncommented, then you can't acces mysql using tcp at all.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2004-05-04 22:34:38

flex_strongo

I looked over the wiki but everything's already set up that way

I can log in to mysql using the step 7 thing. But I can't run
/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h (hostname) password 'new-password'

That's where I get errors.  The only reason I need this is for a program called prokyon3 that uses MySQL databases to manage mp3's/ogg's.  And I can't get it to connect to the database so I wondered if that error had anything to do with it.

#5 2004-05-05 00:03:49

FoPref
Website

on most setups (and I think it's the default) only localhost is allowed to connect to the mysql server.

localhost means "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" to connect to. As you see, this can't be done on another machine in the network wink

to change this, edit the table user as appropriate (set % as host) and restart the mysql server.

#6 2004-05-05 00:31:44

flex_strongo

that makes sense....so how would I go about doing that....before today I've never read about MySQL

#7 2004-05-05 01:29:58

FoPref
Website

Run the command without the -h option.

You could also try out phpMyAdmin to manage this (it runs without having set a password yet), see my added section of the wiki file:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Apa … nd%20MySQL

But remember, if you set passwords, you have to choose the PASSWORD() option left of the field you enter it into. If you don't do this, the password will be saved unencrypted in the database and so never can be unrecognized.

#8 2004-05-05 01:44:50

flex_strongo

Thanks for the help, I'm pretty sure I have it set up now.....but the prokyon software has a qt problem I think, I keep getting this error if anyone knows about it:

QSqlDatabase: QMYSQL3 driver not loaded
QSqlDatabase: available drivers:

I looked into it and it seems like I need to compile that option into qt? maybe?  I tried but it doesn't seem like it's an actual option. sad

Board footer