You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-07 07:17:16

phunni

Internet only works on one machine at a time

I have three linux machines on my local network - my server running mandrake,one running gentoo and the other running a new install of Arch

Trouble is, that whenever the arch box acceses the internet, the gentoo box has real trouble with doing so - all the name lookups fail...

As soon as I stop network activity on the arch box - the gentoo box is fine again

I realise this could be an issue with my ISP - but it does seem odd that the network is only struggling when more than one machine is trying to get online...

My server is the only box with direct access to the net

Any ideas what could be wrong here?

Edit: another reason to suspect it's a linux thing is that the windows laptop also on the same network has none of the same problems...

#2 2004-05-07 09:58:07

lanrat

Re: Internet only works on one machine at a time

I would suspect wrong network configuration (ip conflict? nat?) But without any details it's almost impossible to help you.
First of all you have to tell us if you connect your gentoo and arch boxes through your mandrake server with nat or maybe all 3 boxes are connected to some external router/switch/whatever? Please post your net configs (at least from rc.conf). If all 3 boxes are connected directly to your provider this may also mean that there are some limits - in this case I would suggest connecting desktop machines through your server with nat or buying some small hardware router. That's as much as I can tell for now until you provide some configs.
EDIT: one more thing: if you say that your win notebook works just try to copy it's config options to arch - it should be easy. Check ip, dns servers, if it uses dhcp - basic things form network connection properties - tcpip protocol.

#3 2004-05-07 10:47:49

phunni

Re: Internet only works on one machine at a time

Solved - I looked in rc.conf again and relalised I had give nthe arch box and the gentoo box the same ip - which would explain the problem

Board footer