You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-19 22:03:30

DeltaXFX

RAID 5 - hardware vs software questions

Hi all,

Im thinking about building a RAID 5 server. Right now I have a Thecus 1U4500 (4x500GB RAID5) and I really like it but have outgrown it. And really I would rather build my own just for the fun of it.
I would like 8-12 drives, and RAID 5 or 6.
Here come the questions...
The Thecus server is software RAID 5, I think 1.XX GHz celeron and 512MB RAM. It has decent performance (at least for what I use it for).
So hardware RAID, expensive for 8-12 drives of RAID 5 or 6. Although it seems like it would be pretty easy to set up as long as there are appropriate Linux drivers. If I went with hardware RAID, how easy is it to expand the volume? I would have to use LVM to make this possible correct?

Software RAID, I have read up a little on EVMS. I am a little confused about it though. Does EVMS just use plugins for its functions? Does it use some other system to control a RAID volume?
I think I would run the OS (Arch) on a dedicated drive, perhaps a small flash disk or something, then just have my data on the RAID volume. If I do it this way, and I corrupt my OS somehow, will I be able to reinstall the OS and get my RAID functioning again? There is no software RAID that supports RAID 6 is there? Can hot spare be supported in RAID 5 on software?

At the moment I am leaning towards software RAID... if nothing else just to see if I can do it. But you guys with experience, how much processing power would I be looking at needing for 8-12 drives? Or is that many just out of the question with software?

Thanks!!

The Internet...? Is that thing still around?

#2 2007-07-20 08:49:58

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: RAID 5 - hardware vs software questions

Unless you get some very expensive hardware raid, use software. I don't need to say any more Jeff Garzik sums it up perfectly in this message and the included links. I know little about raid, but not many know more than Jeff about using it under linux.

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/ … /2811.html

James

Last edited by iphitus (2007-07-20 08:50:29)

#3 2007-07-20 16:55:54

DeltaXFX

Wow, great link! Thats what I was looking for. Looks like I'll be going with software RAID,

The Internet...? Is that thing still around?

#4 2007-07-20 18:08:04

Mikko777

Yes great link iphi!

ty for posting.

Board footer