You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-22 16:29:21

dninja
Website

php not parsing php!

I've just installed php on a new server and spent the last couple of hours trying to work out why apache wasn't parsing php.

I tried all the usual stuff like the module isn't loaded and things like that but still no luck.

With the help of a friend we finally tracked it down to this setting in php.ini

short_open_tag = Off

All the pages I was testing have the short tags i.e. <? rather than the long ones i.e. <?php and because php was ignoring short tags nothing was being processed. A quick change to

short_open_tag = On

and all is now working.

This was a change in the default behavior by php which really threw me so I thought I'd make this entry just in case anyone else has this problem.

#2 2007-07-22 21:03:04

timtux
Website

Re: php not parsing php!

use <?php, NOT <?

http://timtux.net/ - my personal blog about almost everything

#3 2007-07-22 21:38:06

dninja
Website

Thats fine for new builds but having 4 years worth of sites built using <? I'm not going back and updating them all. (ye, could do global search and replace but would any of you honestly trust it?)

And typing <? is habit!

#4 2007-07-22 21:45:35

RedShift

You shouldn't have used <? in the first place, it's been long time discouraged by the php manual. It's about time they [the php developers] throw out stuff like that.

Last edited by RedShift (2007-07-22 21:45:50)

:?

#5 2007-07-23 04:24:04

High|ander
Website

dninja wrote:

Thats fine for new builds but having 4 years worth of sites built using <? I'm not going back and updating them all. (ye, could do global search and replace but would any of you honestly trust it?)

And typing <? is habit!

A rather simple sed-script sould fix that on your project, but I sux at sed so I can't help you smile

When death smiles at you, all you can do is smile back!
Blog

#6 2007-07-23 08:30:30

dninja
Website

A rather simple sed-script sould fix that on your project, but I sux at sed so I can't help you smile

It should fix it but there is no way I would trust automating that kind of thing over something so important!

#7 2007-07-23 08:42:38

High|ander
Website

dninja wrote:

It should fix it but there is no way I would trust automating that kind of thing over something so important!

Thats why you have a separate development server for such stuff smile

Or a separate VHOST atleast.

Blog

#8 2007-07-23 08:55:31

dninja
Website

High|ander wrote:
dninja wrote:

Thats why you have a separate development server for such stuff smile

Or a separate VHOST atleast.

I have 3 servers for it all (dev, test and live) but  it is still a lot of work to take 4 years worth of projects, update them all, test them all, get client sign off on the testing, and the roll them out. Basically it isn't practical.

I found the problem with I installed a new dev server, checked a project out of svn and found that not much worked!

#9 2007-07-23 10:13:26

High|ander
Website

Okay, I see what you mean. Then I see your point.

It is hard when you have clients(people) that are paying for the software. Hard to get paid for "Just fixed some code standards".

Blog

#10 2007-07-23 13:15:30

dninja
Website

The other problem is third party apps. I use a lot of open source apps and can't guarantee that all those follow the standards.

And clients do tend to get arsey when you send them a bill for fixing things that already work!

Board footer