You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-18 14:42:20

iKevin

Help understanding "firestarter" and starting auto

Hi All

I did a bit of reading in this forum and google about firewall configuration for inexperienced users.  "firestarter" seems to be a good answer and I have it working with my small home network.  My question is how do you get the firewall that "firestarter" to start at boot?  I can get it to start (obviously) using the gui.

The "firestarter" mentions that there is an init script for RH based systems and not much else.  One thing that I can think of doing is to just copy its rules so that I could use them with iptables but I have no clue where "firestarter" puts its rules.  Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
kev

#2 2004-05-14 13:20:26

gs

Re: Help understanding "firestarter" and starting auto

I am working on the same issues. There is another thread at
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … t=firewall
but this has not enabled me to yet configure things.

OK I can get it to launch in kde but I have to give the root password. Also, of course, you make the daemon calls in /etc/rc.conf before calling kdm (if you start kdm that way - as I do).

Have you yet found an answer?

What the beep was that?

#3 2004-05-14 21:41:04

iKevin

I haven't heard anything nor figured it out.

Good luck
Kevin

#4 2004-05-14 22:39:24

gs

I may have found a way of doing what you wanted. The problem is that iptables runs without a system tray icon and that you seem to need the interface.

You might want to try this out, though.

Copy firestarter.sh into a new shell file at /etc/rc.d/firewallxx.

Amend the daemons list in rc.conf so that you have iptables and firewallxx included, in that order.

If this does work in a satisfactory way, then each time you amend firestarter you would need to copy the shell files over.

On another thread, xentac reports that he uses fwbuilder and fwlogwatch. I have downloaded the users manual and have started to study it... is a bit forbidding, though!

What the beep was that?

#5 2004-05-14 23:41:07

gs

Sorry. That should be /etc/firestarter/firewall.sh, and not firestarter.sh above.

It may be possible to use fwlogwatch as the monitoring method. And it can be run as a daemon.

I have also had a look in virtual console 1. Firestarter has tried to open there, but there is no  X  window for it to do so.

What the beep was that?

#6 2004-05-15 19:40:28

iKevin

Thanks.

I'll try your method.  The nice thing about firestarter is that is easy enough for a novice, like me, to use.  Most of the other tools seem to be way too complicated.

cu
Kev

#7 2004-05-15 23:19:21

gs

I have now tried a lot of different methods for attempting to get firestarter to start in my user's kdm window automatically, without having to re-enter my root password.

I did successfully make a daemon (which I used instead of the /opt/gnome/bin/firestarter -& line in /etc/rc.local. But it is no more successful than that method when it comes to full automation.

I am going to stick with having to re-enter the root password for a while, at least, while I learn the system. I also have some doubts about the method I earlier suggested to you, but I have not tested that method either. My doubts are mainly because I do not yet understand how firestarter works, so I am hardly able to see how iptables can be monitored.

Let me know how you get on!

What the beep was that?

#8 2004-05-16 13:29:29

gs

I have made an advance and installed sudo and modified /etc/sudoers to give wider ranging permissions.

The next stage is installing the command

sudo /opt/gnome/bin/firestarter -&

in the K Menu, and then setting up a button on the taskbar. This way it just requires one click. (That is, if you use KDE)

You could have a look at http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … irestarter
which I think relates to more extreme problems with an earlier version.

I have tried inserting the sudo command in the various scripts but it does not seem to work.

What the beep was that?

Board footer