You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-16 23:31:30

freakyc

Incorrect Times For Packages

I updated pacman last night and then did a pacman -Syu and sat there watching it (yes, I was bored) and noticed on the larger packages that were going to take over 4 minutes, that the time seemed to be rolling back around to 00:00:00.  The time it took to download that is shown after it has finished downloading showed incorrectly if it was over 4 minutes too.

I did see a time where it did actually show the 4 at some points as the time changed.  But the majority of the time if it was going over 4 minutes, it was rolling back over to zero.  A particularly large package, I noticed that as the times changed, that even though it should've been showing 8 minutes, it was only getting up to 4 minutes and rolling back to zero every time.

Sorry if this is a known bug.  I couldn't find it in the forum or on BugTracker.  And if anymore info is needed (hardware specs, etc), let me know.

#2 2004-05-17 08:50:47

mctavish

Re: Incorrect Times For Packages

That field always looks like a random number generator to me! I figured either a) it was the same for everyone and nobody ever bothered to mention it doesn't work right, or b) something to do with the fact I'm on dialup.

#3 2004-05-17 15:16:14

IceRAM
Website

Yep, same thing happens to me using cable.
I fixed this by using wget (which shows the time ok) to download the files - check /etc/pacman.conf and uncomment a line around there... I don't remember exactly what's in it, except that it mentions wget.

#4 2004-05-17 18:17:16

yak8998

thats really strange, one explanation could be excessively fluctuating download speeds. Mine jumps around a little like most downloads, nothing strange like that.

(For instance if your connection is very burst-prone, I could see it doing that easily and frequently)

"Ignorance is bliss, for stupid people."
"open-source is [...] programming Darwinism."
Vaughan-Nichols

#5 2004-05-17 20:30:51

kakabaratruskia

Mine is fine...

And where were all the sportsmen who always pulled you though?
They're all resting down in Cornwall
writing up their memoirs for a paper-back edition
of the Boy Scout Manual.

#6 2004-05-18 00:56:56

freakyc

yak8998 wrote:

thats really strange, one explanation could be excessively fluctuating download speeds. Mine jumps around a little like most downloads, nothing strange like that.

(For instance if your connection is very burst-prone, I could see it doing that easily and frequently)

I know what you mean.  But that definetly isn't what it was doing.  I was watching the speeds, and the time value was certainly off for the speed it was going.  Not to mention, one of the finished values was like 8 seconds for a package that was just over twice the size of a package that took a bit over 2 minutes.  And the shown average speed was like 1KB/sec different between the two.

It's really not a big deal, although I imagine it would be nice to fix it  Especially since pacman is one of the main draws to Arch and is one of the first things a new user will try out.  Then again, they likely won't be watching the time and speed bouncing around like I was  tongue

#7 2004-05-18 08:03:15

mctavish

wget works, thankyou IceRAM.

#8 2004-05-18 12:11:12

IceRAM
Website

mctavish wrote:

wget works, thankyou IceRAM.

Note: This is *not* a fix, it's a workaround.

I liked the previous behavior more. I wanted to make wget show only the progress bar (like pacman does by default), but I couldn't do it using params...

Board footer