You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-09 08:29:39

Allan
Pacman
Website

Switching laptop between proxy and direct connection

Work has just started forcing me to use their proxy server.  Currently that means I need to switch firefox and thunderbird between using the proxy at work and a direct connection at home.  This is beginning to become a pain...  Also I am beginning to encounter other programs require their settings changed as well.

Is the a way to specify a global setting for all programs to use a certain proxy?  If so, can I set it to only use the proxy from certian IP addresses?

#2 2007-08-09 08:45:04

FUBAR
Website

Re: Switching laptop between proxy and direct connection

Linux has multiple places to set proxy settings: setting $http_proxy works for most terminal apps, then you have your "global" KDE proxy settings and your "global" Gnome settings. Apart from that, you can also set it in your application itself.

Firefox has extensions that allow you to define different proxies and you can select the appropriate one via a small button.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#3 2007-08-09 14:52:14

Allan
Pacman
Website

Is there a tool that will detect my when my IP address is the one given by work and change some global internet connection settings?  My friend has windows software that came with his ThinkPad which does this.  I use network-manager so I tried to find if this could but found nothing.  I will also look into the "global" GNOME settings but I am using XFCE so it might not help.

#4 2007-08-10 09:08:13

FUBAR
Website

Debian has guessnet. I don't know if there's an Arch package as I run Ubuntu on my laptop from work.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#5 2007-08-10 23:22:19

TheGrudge
Website

I'm using ConnSets (https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/3452) as a firefox plugin... it works nice...

digiKam developer - www.digikam.org

#6 2007-08-11 01:14:05

Allan
Pacman
Website

I have started using the SwitchProxy Tool in firefox and thunderbird as a temporary measure until I can automate this.  Guessnet looks promising but I'm not sure how to specify the proxy server for my work connection.  I will keep trying...

Board footer