You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-15 12:19:47

jskier
Website

Network bridging two cable connections. Worth it?

I tend to be a bit (okay excessively) power hungry. My apartment complex provides a free shared wireless cable connection. I found it to be not reliable with uptime and was forced to get a dedicated cable line for myself.

Then I had this thought: when there are times when this wireless and free connection is up and running, would it be worth it to bridge the two connections on my desktop? One would be wired, the other wireless. I haven't yet purchased the wireless card since I'd like some input on this first. Both are cable connections at around 6 mbps (Comcast). I'm fairly savvy with networks however not so much on this concept of bridging in home computing. I use the Internet for large downloads, FTP, SSH, and web design, and I'm just power hungry tongue, so I'm curious what the bandwidth and speed increases would be on this.

My desktop is very powerful and new, if that were to at all be a concern. Any thoughts, experiences, or input on this?

Last edited by jskier (2007-08-15 12:22:37)

--
JSkier

#2 2007-08-16 13:56:22

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: Network bridging two cable connections. Worth it?

It sounds like you want to combine both physical nics into 1 virtual, this is called bonding.

Download the kernel sources and check Documentation/networking/bonding.txt .

I've done a bit of searching and it seems that downloading large files , ftp and such don't benefit from this as they only can make one connection.
Everyhting that uses multiple connections like p2p should benefit from it.
If you're going to use this, you should consider installing a downloadmanager like prozilla or aria / aria2.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2007-08-16 13:56:37)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2007-08-22 00:50:08

jskier
Website

Re: Network bridging two cable connections. Worth it?

Lone_Wolf wrote:

It sounds like you want to combine both physical nics into 1 virtual, this is called bonding.

Download the kernel sources and check Documentation/networking/bonding.txt .

I've done a bit of searching and it seems that downloading large files , ftp and such don't benefit from this as they only can make one connection.
Everyhting that uses multiple connections like p2p should benefit from it.
If you're going to use this, you should consider installing a downloadmanager like prozilla or aria / aria2.

Hmm, me thinks I'll play around with it, thanks!

--
JSkier

Board footer