You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-03 10:55:51

saciel

Network Issues with new Laptop!

I'm trying to setup Arch on a new Laptop - LG Z1 Pro.

When trying to configure ethernet for the first system update I used the very same settings that I do use on my thinkpad as well (apart from the interface name):

# Network Settings
INTERFACE=eth0
HOSTNAME=arch_angel

# Interface Settings (use IFOPTS="dhcp" for DHCP)
IFOPTS="10.1.1.17 netmask 255.0.0.0 broadcast 10.255.255.255"
GATEWAY=10.1.1.1

# DNS Settings (optional)
DOMAIN=localdomain
DNS1=212.114.152.1
DNS2=212.114.153.1

On the thinkpad everything works out fine with these settings but on ping'ing the Gateway using the LG it only return "Destination Host Unreachable".

After checking IP routing tables with" route -n" there actually was no gateway entry... I don't know why. Manually adding it with 'route add default gw 10.1.1.1' resulted in the same IP routing tables I have on the Thinkpad but did not solve the 'unreachable' Problem.

Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
10.0.0.0        0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 wlan
0.0.0.0         10.1.1.1        0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 wlan

Cable lan works fine on pre-installed Windows, though. Any ideas what is going wrong or how to solve the problem?

The information I got about the ethernet card are:
Agere Systems ET-131x PCI-E gigabit Ethernet Controller

They say if you reverse play a Windows CD you can hear satanic verses... But wanna know what's even worse? If you forward play it, it's gonna install Windows on your system!

#2 2007-09-03 11:20:05

saciel

Re: Network Issues with new Laptop!

I found out that there seems to be a special driver for this ethernet card, that can be found on http://sourceforge.net/projects/et131x/

I installed it in loaded the module - et131x - afterwards, with little effect. "route -n" shows the correct IP table without having to configure the gateway manually but I still cannot ping the router.

They say if you reverse play a Windows CD you can hear satanic verses... But wanna know what's even worse? If you forward play it, it's gonna install Windows on your system!

#3 2007-09-03 20:47:03

hungsonbk
Website

Can't say exactly what is the problem, but you can try to open wireshark or tcpdump when you are trying to ping the gateway. It might be a driver problem.

After pinging, can you see the MAC address of your router in the arp table ?
use the following command to check:
#arp
If you can't see the MAC address of your router, try to add the MAC static:
#arp -s ip.address.of.router mac:address:of:router
and then ping again.

Furthermore, you can connect your new laptop to other laptop or other network to see it is working or not.

Cheers

PS: I looked back in the output of "route -n" you posted above, it it likely that you are using wireless card because your card name is "wlan". can you re-check again to see if you setup your Ethernet card correct or not. Post the screendump of ifconfig and iwconfig to see if it is correct or not.

Last edited by hungsonbk (2007-09-03 20:53:12)

#4 2007-09-03 22:07:37

saciel

It just turned out, that the et131x-driver created a new device, so we just had to change to eth1 to get it working... no idea what eth0 is about anyway.

So, we did a full system update including - as it was an older Arch-iso - a new kernel. As et131x.ko was in the old /lib/modules tree we would have had to recompile it after upgrading. Unfortunatelly the building process now returns two errors I cannot get rid off, so we have no lan again...

#5 2007-09-04 20:52:56

Lone_Wolf

Chances are that eth0 is used for a firewire connection.

Maybe the wireless chip of the laptop is supported in the kernel ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2007-09-04 20:57:45

saciel

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Chances are that eth0 is used for a firewire connection.

Maybe the wireless chip of the laptop is supported in the kernel ?

It isn't... It is an ipw3945, at least that's what LG says... because we installed ipw3945 the daemon and it's dependencies but no wireless network device can be found after starting the daemon and loading the module...

Board footer