You are not logged in.

#51 2007-11-04 23:11:03

Apewall
Member
Registered: 2007-08-12
Posts: 29

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

64bit here.  My notables are:
AIGLX performance with Compiz Fusion is horrible - video playback is very poor with compiz fusion on, aswell suffering several bugs(Video does not display correctly in 3d-cube mode, among others), forced to use indirect rendering aswell.

the CCC process as others have stated, loads the process but the program is not shown and does not do anything.

Doesn't look like they changed much besides adding AIGLX support and breaking the CCC.

Last edited by Apewall (2007-11-04 23:16:50)

Offline

#52 2007-11-05 08:01:26

stjepan
Member
Registered: 2006-07-02
Posts: 76

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

Apewall, here's the fix for CCC: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=39310

Offline

#53 2007-11-05 20:25:03

Mikko777
Member
From: Suomi, Finland
Registered: 2006-10-30
Posts: 837

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

So new xserver went to extra... everything is broken now... mad

Stupid move imho, just screwed most ati users over ^^

so how do i fix evdev and opengl apps? google seems to be full of cryptic bugreports, something about evdev fighting with keyboard and must use evdev keyboard? geez

cerebral whats this 8.42.4 driver you speak of? (that fixes xorg ^^)
(can you make a package... pretty please tongue)

Oh yeah ain't compiz supposed to work with new xorg too? or doesn't it just on arch?

Last edited by Mikko777 (2007-11-05 20:26:13)

Offline

#54 2007-11-05 20:35:19

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
From: Waterloo, ON, CA
Registered: 2005-04-08
Posts: 3,108
Website

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

whoops, 8.42.3 - did I accidentally call it 8.42.4 somewhere?

Offline

#55 2007-11-05 20:36:44

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
From: Waterloo, ON, CA
Registered: 2005-04-08
Posts: 3,108
Website

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

compiz is supposed to work with the new fglrx, but many people report it's slow as molasses, if it even works at all.

I don't know why fglrx would affect evdev.  That's likely an unrelated issue - open a separate topic for it.

As for OpenGL, that's likely fglrx related.  Have you tried disabling AIGLX in xorg.conf?

Offline

#56 2007-11-05 21:07:07

Mikko777
Member
From: Suomi, Finland
Registered: 2006-10-30
Posts: 837

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

Cerebral wrote:

compiz is supposed to work with the new fglrx, but many people report it's slow as molasses, if it even works at all.

I don't know why fglrx would affect evdev.  That's likely an unrelated issue - open a separate topic for it.

As for OpenGL, that's likely fglrx related.  Have you tried disabling AIGLX in xorg.conf?

Okey, well now i've uninstalled compiz altogether -> because compiz didn't work -> fusion-icon tried to launch no matter what and caused cpu usage to be 100%.

So atleast desktop works!

Then theres the opengl / xorg weirdness. opengl apps do work but mouse movement is "erratic" i read somewhere that its both keyboard and mouse fighting with same resources... keypresses move mouse too.

But guess its not fglrx related like you said tongue
PS. yes you typed the driver version wrong in other thread about opengl apps not working... tongue

Edit: typed too fast without thinking ^^

Last edited by Mikko777 (2007-11-05 21:09:20)

Offline

#57 2007-11-05 21:24:42

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
From: Waterloo, ON, CA
Registered: 2005-04-08
Posts: 3,108
Website

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

Mikko777 wrote:

PS. yes you typed the driver version wrong in other thread about opengl apps not working... tongue

Heh, yeah, I found my mistake and corrected it.  Silly me. tongue

Offline

#58 2007-11-06 08:43:32

Hohoho
Member
Registered: 2007-06-23
Posts: 222

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

Came here to tell about the erratic mouse movement in opengl games too, at first i thought this was specific to warsow only.
Xmoto and wesnoth are fine though, and if you do "in_dgamouse 0" for warsow the mouse works fine (without dga it does work fine but ingame there are some downsides for not using DGA, so its not a plausible workaround).
So the problems are somewhere with the X's DGA extension or fglrx, im more leaning to the latter, since it works fine with the radeon oss driver.

xorg 7.2 + fglrx 8.42.3 was fine, xorg 7.3 + 8.42.3 = borked mouse in opengl games.

Yep, its evdev's fault, switched to the regular mouse driver and it all works fine.

For my Logitech MX510 its like this now:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Buttons" "10"
    Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7 8"
#    Option        "Name" "Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse"
    Option        "CorePointer"
EndSection

Found another funny bug, on first try to use GLX it just hangs, as in I start X, type glxinfo and it prints only 1 or 2 lines and hangs, i kill glxinfo and try again and it works, i can open two terminals at once, type glxinfo in firsto one it hangs, leave it like that and type glxinfo in the second and it works, and it works in all subsequent tries.
Same thing if i use a game, e.g. warsow.

Last edited by Hohoho (2007-11-06 10:02:00)

Offline

#59 2007-11-06 16:11:54

Mikko777
Member
From: Suomi, Finland
Registered: 2006-10-30
Posts: 837

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

Hohoho wrote:

Came here to tell about the erratic mouse movement in opengl games too, at first i thought this was specific to warsow only.
Xmoto and wesnoth are fine though, and if you do "in_dgamouse 0" for warsow the mouse works fine (without dga it does work fine but ingame there are some downsides for not using DGA, so its not a plausible workaround).
So the problems are somewhere with the X's DGA extension or fglrx, im more leaning to the latter, since it works fine with the radeon oss driver.

xorg 7.2 + fglrx 8.42.3 was fine, xorg 7.3 + 8.42.3 = borked mouse in opengl games.

Yep, its evdev's fault, switched to the regular mouse driver and it all works fine.

For my Logitech MX510 its like this now:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Buttons" "10"
    Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7 8"
#    Option        "Name" "Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse"
    Option        "CorePointer"
EndSection

Found another funny bug, on first try to use GLX it just hangs, as in I start X, type glxinfo and it prints only 1 or 2 lines and hangs, i kill glxinfo and try again and it works, i can open two terminals at once, type glxinfo in firsto one it hangs, leave it like that and type glxinfo in the second and it works, and it works in all subsequent tries.
Same thing if i use a game, e.g. warsow.

Well atleast one person has same problems than me.

-Have you found other fixes for the mouse issue? Somehow using that default driver doesnt fix it for me... is that all you did to fix it? and do you have both usb mouse and keyboard? (in my mouse problems even if i unplug the mouse pressing keyboard moves the cursor)

- i got that opengl first start hang / 100% cpu usage too
- Also videos fail to start from time to time and xorg freezes with black screen ^^
- java apps didnt start but its fixed now.

Alas can't downgrade since i did pacman -Scc, does opensource driver support tv-out by now? (and does it work with new xorg?)

Offline

#60 2007-11-06 17:32:36

lollerskates
Member
Registered: 2007-10-27
Posts: 10

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

I've just upgraded, and I'm experiencing some weird behavior. It didn't break X, but fglrxinfo either hangs or runs as normal but displays no driver version number(and that's only after I run it as root at least once or kill it and run it again. If I sudo fglrxinfo, I get mesa drivers for the output). It doesn't really bother me that much (I only run fluxbox) and nothing else is broken (xvinfo, glxinfo show no glaring errors or weird behavior), but this behavior is baffling me.

Offline

#61 2007-11-06 21:01:54

Apewall
Member
Registered: 2007-08-12
Posts: 29

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

lollerskates wrote:

I've just upgraded, and I'm experiencing some weird behavior. It didn't break X, but fglrxinfo either hangs or runs as normal but displays no driver version number(and that's only after I run it as root at least once or kill it and run it again. If I sudo fglrxinfo, I get mesa drivers for the output). It doesn't really bother me that much (I only run fluxbox) and nothing else is broken (xvinfo, glxinfo show no glaring errors or weird behavior), but this behavior is baffling me.

What exactly is the fglrxinfo output anyway, (are you sure you don't mean the linux ccc?)

If you have your drivers installed correctly and xorg.conf setup you shouldn't ever be seeing mesa unless you are running an overlay on display 0, that has caused mesa to return for me personally.

Offline

#62 2007-11-06 21:05:24

bmmdvm
Member
From: Tennessee
Registered: 2007-10-27
Posts: 5

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

Xorg 7.2 + fglrx 8.42.3 was fine in both 32 and 64 bit. With  xorg 7.3 + 8.42.3  runs fine in both 32 and 64 bit except the cpu usage is 100% causing my notebook to run much hotter than normal.

Offline

#63 2007-11-06 21:17:55

lollerskates
Member
Registered: 2007-10-27
Posts: 10

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

Apewall wrote:

What exactly is the fglrxinfo output anyway, (are you sure you don't mean the linux ccc?)

If you have your drivers installed correctly and xorg.conf setup you shouldn't ever be seeing mesa unless you are running an overlay on display 0, that has caused mesa to return for me personally.

I get this as the output after it hangs and I kill it. Anyways, I'm going to rollback for now.
~$ fglrxinfo
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300
OpenGL version string: 2.0.6958 Release

Edit: I was also getting random artifacts on my screen.
Edit again: Scratch that. It was the new xorg that was giving me problems. I'm running the latest drivers just fine.

Last edited by lollerskates (2007-11-07 03:03:15)

Offline

#64 2007-11-06 21:34:49

thayer
Fellow
From: Vancouver, BC
Registered: 2007-05-20
Posts: 1,560
Website

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

bmmdvm wrote:

Xorg 7.2 + fglrx 8.42.3 was fine in both 32 and 64 bit. With  xorg 7.3 + 8.42.3  runs fine in both 32 and 64 bit except the cpu usage is 100% causing my notebook to run much hotter than normal.

I noticed this behaviour when I try to run fglrxinfo... it hangs and the CPU shoots up to 100% and the temps start climbing.  As soon as I kill fglrxinfo, everything goes back to normal.


thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

Offline

#65 2007-11-06 22:42:55

pebo
Member
Registered: 2007-09-13
Posts: 15

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

My Radeon 9600 (ThinkPad T42) is a few degrees cooler since 8.42.3 -- I noticed this since the fan stopped spinning multiple times today. That's new.

I also should mention: no artifacts yet.

Offline

#66 2007-11-06 23:38:51

mintcoffee
Member
From: Waterloo, ON
Registered: 2007-10-05
Posts: 120
Website

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

8.42.3 doesn't work with FireGL cards. I find it strange that it was moved to extra when it's clearly missing support for a subset of the cards that 8.40.4 supported. There is a hack that enables FireGL support on 8.42.3, but many functions do not work properly with the hack (ie. suspend / resume).


Arch on a Thinkpad T400s

Offline

#67 2007-11-06 23:40:12

oringo
Member
Registered: 2007-08-23
Posts: 21

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

just upgraded to 8.42.3 + xorg 7.3 on my Macbook Pro. Everything looks good after a reboot (kernel version mismatch). I have yet to try compiz.

Offline

#68 2007-11-06 23:47:46

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
From: Waterloo, ON, CA
Registered: 2005-04-08
Posts: 3,108
Website

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

mintcoffee wrote:

8.42.3 doesn't work with FireGL cards. I find it strange that it was moved to extra when it's clearly missing support for a subset of the cards that 8.40.4 supported. There is a hack that enables FireGL support on 8.42.3, but many functions do not work properly with the hack (ie. suspend / resume).

However, it's the only version that supports xorg-server 1.4, which has been sitting in testing for months.  It's a no-win situation this time around - either everyone using fglrx gets screwed, or FireGL users do.  I hope things get fixed up proper by 8.43

Offline

#69 2007-11-07 13:19:51

pave_m
Member
From: various :)
Registered: 2007-05-10
Posts: 2
Website

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

I have a problem that no one mentioned on this forum yet, so I was wondering if you solved it somehow... After upgrading to the latest xorg and fglrx from extra repo, the X server starts well with AIGLX support enabled (however with some warnings (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23 - 0x72 in the xorg log). Everything seems fine, but when I run beryl-manager and tell it to replace kwin, the following happens:

**************************************************************
* Beryl system compatiblity check                            *
**************************************************************

Detected xserver                                : AIGLX

Checking Display :0.0 ...

Checking for XComposite extension               : passed (v0.4)
Checking for XDamage extension                  : passed
Checking for RandR extension                    : passed
Checking for XSync extension                    : passed

Checking Screen 0 ...

Checking for GLX_SGIX_fbconfig                  : passed
Checking for GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap        : passed
X Error of failed request:  GLXBadContext
  Major opcode of failed request:  144 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
  Serial number of failed request:  34
  Current serial number in output stream:  34
New Window Manager
Found not compatible window manager. Waiting...

Any idea on what's wrong? I'm using T60 with X1400 on board.

Offline

#70 2007-11-07 13:25:30

Hohoho
Member
Registered: 2007-06-23
Posts: 222

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

The mouse thing got fixed by just switching the driver, using a USB mouse.

I also encountered the artifacts bug, sometimes two line appear in the lower right corner and under the cursor, switching VTs makes this go away.
The GLX initial start bug I made a workaround for, created a small script with this content:

glxinfo & sleep 2 && killall glxinfo

and added it to Gnome session startup.

AIGLX on or off doesnt make a difference for all of this.

Offline

#71 2007-11-07 14:10:50

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
From: Waterloo, ON, CA
Registered: 2005-04-08
Posts: 3,108
Website

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

Hohoho wrote:

The mouse thing got fixed by just switching the driver, using a USB mouse.

I also encountered the artifacts bug, sometimes two line appear in the lower right corner and under the cursor, switching VTs makes this go away.

Try adding

Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"

to your device section for fglrx in xorg.conf.  People have reported that to fix the onscreen corruption.

Offline

#72 2007-11-08 17:04:21

mouse256
Member
From: Antwerpen, Belgium
Registered: 2005-08-24
Posts: 247

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

Did somebody get a custom resolution working with the fglrx drivers?

I would like to use 1400x1050 on my 19" crt screen, but unfortunately this resolution is not reported by DPMS. However I'm using this resolution for years (om windows, with the opensource R300 drivers and some time ago it did work with fglrx too)

When I do xrandr, this resolution is not supported, so I do the following:

xrandr --newmode "1400x1050_85.00"  179.26  1400 1504 1656 1912  1050 1051 1054 1103  -HSync +Vsync
xrandr --addmode default 1400x1050_85.00

Then I can select the resolution in the gnome control panel. For the R300 drivers, this works perfectly, for the fglrx this does nothing, nothing happens when the resolution is selected.

And for making it permanent a modeline needs to be added to xorg.conf. Adding the modeline for R300 works like a charm, adding it with fglrx, my screen becomes black and I can't do anything. It is still responding though, I can reboot my machine if I go to a virtual console and then reboot it blind.

Offline

#73 2007-11-13 16:25:19

gothicknight
Member
From: Portugal
Registered: 2006-04-08
Posts: 219

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

Hi

I've read in some google searches that AIGLX + fglrx 8.42 + xorg-server-1.4 = failure, can someone confirm this?
The problem with über CPU usage is the glxinfo package that fusion-icon runs on start (I've had put on gnome session start) and eats all the CPU. Also fglrxinfo runs fine here glxinfo cpu usage started upon glproto update!
The problem I think is the glproto that doesn't send the proper info to compiz so "he" thinks that theres no GL_TEXTUR_from_pixmap anda fails to start.

Offline

#74 2007-11-21 20:47:48

BJJ
Member
Registered: 2007-10-23
Posts: 25

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

Phoronix Article

Let's hope the new fglrx/catalyst linux driver solves most of our problems. roll

Offline

#75 2007-11-21 20:57:28

spendzo
Member
Registered: 2007-11-15
Posts: 16

Re: AMD/ATI fglrx 8.42.3 Experiences

when do you think it will be available through pacman?

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB