You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-16 09:10:45

ReaphSharc
Website

Adding routes to network profile (solved)

I have a laptop I use both at home as well as at work. At work I'm connected to the LAN through ethernet (eth0), at home I have a wireless network (eth1).
To solve the problem with eth1 trying to connect while I'm at work and spamming my messages log, I read the network profiles guide and all works fine.
But at work, I need to add two entries to the routing table. As a workaround I've written a script I run after I log on so I can actually go on the network.

/sbin/route add -net 172.16.0.0/12 gw 172.19.0.1
/sbin/route add -net 10.17.0.0/16 gw 172.19.0.1

In an attempt to automate this process, I added the following lines to the 'work' profile:

SGTI1="-net 172.16.0.0/12 gw 172.19.0.1"
SGTI2="-net 10.17.0.0/16 gw 172.19.0.1"
ROUTES=(SGTI1 SGTI2)

I've tried it with and without "-net". The rc.conf guide on the wiki clearly states:

ROUTES: You can define your own static network routes with arbitrary names here. Look at the example for a default gateway to get the idea. Basically the quoted part is identical to what you'd pass to a manual route add command, therefore reading man route is recommended if you don't know what to write here, or simply leave this alone.

But obviously - since it's not working - I'm doing something wrong.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Last edited by ReaphSharc (2007-11-16 11:03:02)

Do you want a Bubble Icon? Feel free to submit your requests or personal creations to be included in future releases.
I'm 100% Linux!

#2 2007-11-16 10:43:49

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Adding routes to network profile (solved)

Well, you've stated the problem right there. You're looking at the info about rc.conf, but you've added the routes to your network profile. netcfg, the script that processes the profile details, does not look for additional routes, so yours are ignored.

Add them to rc.conf and you should be fine.

BTW, if you would like to help us test the net profiles rewrite, enable the testing repo and install the netcfg package. Full details here: http://www.archlinux.org/news/362/

#3 2007-11-16 10:53:51

ReaphSharc
Website

tomk wrote:

Well, you've stated the problem right there. You're looking at the info about rc.conf, but you've added the routes to your network profile. netcfg, the script that processes the profile details, does not look for additional routes, so yours are ignored.

Add them to rc.conf and you should be fine.

BTW, if you would like to help us test the net profiles rewrite, enable the testing repo and install the netcfg package. Full details here: http://www.archlinux.org/news/362/

Thanks for the help... And I'll consider helping to fieldtest the rewrite.

Do you want a Bubble Icon? Feel free to submit your requests or personal creations to be included in future releases.
I'm 100% Linux!

#4 2007-11-16 17:45:24

arunvragh

I had the same problem. Only it was wired at home and wireless in office. I had a tough time with it. Till I installed WICD. Now I connect with a click. Open wicd and connect either to wired or wireless. Just fill in details once and it remembers. remove network, network manager etc from daemons in rc.conf and add wicd.

#5 2007-11-19 18:06:08

ReaphSharc
Website

Thanks for the tip. Think it works now, but I'll keep it in mind as an alternative or solution for future problems wink

I'm 100% Linux!

Board footer