You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-23 20:15:27

Bralkein

rc.conf with complex networks

I have just added wireless access to my home network server, and it works great. I already had a wired network, so I have used a bridge to bring them together. Now the wireless network and the wired network provide an internet gateway through dnsmasq. Here is a diagram:

ethernet:eth0
                                 } bridge:br0@192.168.0.1 --> dnsmasq --> internet:eth1@DHCP
              wireless:ath0

The only problem I now face is how I can set this up in my bootscripts. I have a crude solution of my own, but I was wondering if there was some way I can make it more safe, clean and easy with rc.conf. Look at this guide as an example of how easy this can be set up in Debian-based distros.

Eventually I want to write a wiki guide about how to set up an Arch Linux machine as a wireless AP, so it would be really great to get a perfect, complete solution for this.

#2 2007-11-23 21:09:12

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: rc.conf with complex networks

Have a look at /etc/conf.d/bridges and the related code in /etc/rc.d/network. I haven't used it myself, but it seems to be all there. If not, feel free to submit patches.

#3 2007-11-24 15:47:41

Bralkein

Re: rc.conf with complex networks

Thanks, that's just what I wanted. Arch support for hostapd is still pretty much non-existent, but I hope to remedy that myself.

Board footer