You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-25 14:05:28

sykesm

WICD -- network works, Broadcom 4306 chipset

I have not been able to get my network to start at boot time since first installing arch, machine is wifi only. I had to background the @network daemon, or suffer a huge delay on boot,  then start things manually in kde after all had started up, no real hardship.

After a mention of wicd on another post I tried the following setup in rc.conf and all worked first time and at boot up, with no excesive delay on the network daemon. I thought it worth a mention, and wondered if anybody else has noticed this?

MODULES=(bcm43xx nvidia vboxdrv)
-----
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng hal fam hwd wicd network crond @httpd @ntpd @mpd @alsad @hplip @cups !postgresql)

#2 2007-11-25 16:40:49

byte

Re: WICD -- network works, Broadcom 4306 chipset

A few notes about your DAEMONS...

Put dbus before hal, it's cleaner that way.
Also, fam needs portmap. And it's probably a good idea to put those after network.
alsad? You mean alsa.
hplip doesn't exist any longer.
Do you really need hwd? Normal udev should suffice.

#3 2007-11-25 19:15:07

BJJ

I also learned about WICD a few days ago, and I love it!
I finally have a networkmanager that doesn't slow down boot and let's me search for different wireless networks.
And I can specify the encryption throught templates and let me connect with the universities wlan network! Something I didn't get working with networkmanager.

#4 2007-11-25 20:08:07

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

You can remove network from the array and disable the interfaces, like how networkmanager works (front-ends normally read & write to files that are used by the base networking scripts). If things aren't the same after that, restore the previous configuration and please do report back.

As a side note, backgrounded (independent) daemons are best left at the top of the list (meaning first few in the array) as priority should be given to those that are dependent. This way, as they are waiting to load, the backgrounded ones can finish up. If you do use udev, bcm43xx will be loaded automatically. Also, I'm not so sure of the speed gain when you list a dependency even if it will be auto-loaded, so from my POV this would be ideal (eg. dbus is loaded by hal, so is portmap by fam):

INTERFACES=(lo !eth0 !wlan0) # replace with the correct indentifiers
MODULES=(nvidia vboxdrv) # check whether they can be auto-loaded also by using hwdetect
DAEMONS=(!postgresql syslog-ng @crond @httpd @ntpd @mpd @alsa @cups hal wicd fam)

Btw, it's great that bcm43xx works w/ satisfactory results! I have a bcm4311 and it doesn't play nice smile

Last edited by schivmeister (2007-11-25 20:09:19)

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#5 2007-11-26 09:22:10

stylopath

You can remove network from the array and disable the interfaces, like how networkmanager works

Not really!

Wicd doesn't put the lo-interface up, so things like mpd e.g. wont work with "localhost" (you need to use 127.0.0.1 instead).

I recommend to disable all interfaces except lo and start network in background.

Also Dbus is obsolete since hal loads it automatically.

-------------

In General:

Yes! WICD is a great peace of software! except one minor bug (the tray-icon is invisible unless iam connected to my wireless network) it works like a charm. Anyway, im using network-profiles now - its the best experience i ever made. This is how networking should be smile

have fun

#6 2007-11-26 09:30:56

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

yes of course, that's what i meant. look at the example i posted smile it is generally understood that the loopback "interface" must not be disabled. so wicd doesn't handle loopback like nm does, that's a good revelation, worthy to take note of!

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#7 2007-12-01 10:59:15

sykesm

many thanks for the suggestions. I messed around backlisting the modules and modifying the daemons array as suggested ending up with the following which seems to work well.

MODULES=(bcm43xx !nvidia !vboxdrv)
#lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
INTERFACES=(eth0)
DAEMONS=(!postgresql syslog-ng @crond @httpd @ntpd @mpd @alsa @cups hal fam wicd network)

also noted in another post, this reference to changes with loopback
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=40404

Last edited by sykesm (2007-12-01 11:10:33)

Board footer