You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-28 15:15:12

jacko

how to fix this annoying behavior???

Ok, firstly here is my setup. I have two HD's in the PC. One is a SATA 80g (ubuntu) and the other is a IDE ATA 20g (arch)HD. I boot which ever HD by pressing 'esc' when the computer loads, to get a menu from the bios. I then select which ever drive I want to use as the primary drive, this drive then boots. Works fine, I can boot into arch or ubuntu within seconds of restarting the machine.

But, as it seems this has its problems. First annoying behavior, I made a mistake in my menu.lst file so when I rebooted I had a kernel panic. At first I was surprised and didn't get the problem, so I booted into ubuntu. From there I mounted the IDE ATA (arch) device and went to the arch directory /boot/grub/menu.lst, rick clicked and viewed it with sudo gedit. Up pops the ubuntu menu.lst. HUH???? So after getting frustrated here I decided to try the arch fallback option on boot...

So I reboot the pc and 'esc' to select primary drive this time choosing the arch linux HD. It boots as normal and I get the option for fallback, I select this option and the arch linux kernel loads and then the rest starts to happen and all of a sudden I see ubuntu pTTy or something like that. HUH??? ubuntu tty while I am trying to boot into arch??? wtf is going on...

The one thing that I think contributes to the whole mess is how arch sees my IDE ATA drive as /dev/sda. I thought sda was only for sata devices and if so then this is how I suspect the problem is happening. Whats the deal with arch seeing my IDE drive as sata drive????

Last edited by jacko (2007-11-28 15:21:04)

#2 2007-11-28 15:30:11

jacko

Re: how to fix this annoying behavior???

I should add, I finally got fallback to boot once I disconnected the SATA 80g ubuntu drive. sad Was my only option.

There has to be a better way to set this up, anyone have any good ideas?

#3 2007-11-28 15:39:55

brebs

It sounds like you're telling Arch to use the Ubuntu drive.

Use e.g. root=/dev/sda1 (or sdb1) in the kernel line in menu.lst

IDE is sda because that's how the kernel is written - the IDE and SATA code was merged.

Last edited by brebs (2007-11-28 15:41:38)

#4 2007-11-28 15:55:10

jacko

Yeah, but to the bios and ubuntu, the 80 gig drive is the first sata device. Well that would explain my problem, but what can I do about it? How can I change it so its still as easy to boot but still be efficient and fast. Solutions, I am willing to hear????

#5 2007-11-28 19:10:57

kishd

Check out persistent block device naming on the wiki. It should help.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Per … ice_naming

---for there is nothing either good or bad, but only thinking makes it so....
Hamlet, W Shakespeare

#6 2007-11-29 01:27:23

jacko

kishd wrote:

Check out persistent block device naming on the wiki. It should help.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Per … ice_naming

perfect, thank you. I was wondering why ubuntu had a UUID to access the HD, now I know why.

Board footer