You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-04 02:08:05

firecat53
Website

Samba/cifs/rsync problem

Hi. I've got a fully updated Arch64 system/Gnome and having trouble doing an rsync transfer to/from a Samba/cifs mount (our XP desktop).  As soon as I start the rsync, a small amount is transferred and then the connection dies so hard that I have to completely remove the ndiswrapper module and restart wicd to get connected again.

I use the following fstab entry to mount the windows share:

//192.168.0.100/My\040Documents /mnt/BUSINESS cifs rw,username=scott,password=,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,users,noauto 0 0

The share mounts ok, and I can cd and ls the directories, but as soon as the rsync starts, it kills the connection. I also can't ctrl-C to stop the rsync -- it kills the entire tab of the gnome-terminal, requiring an exit of that tab to stop. I can't unmount the share until after I restore the connection.

I can mount an NFS share to our little server and transfer fine (well, it dies after a while, too, but that's something else I think). NFS share:
192.168.0.101:/backup2 /mnt/homeserver nfs rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr,hard,noauto 0 0

The network browser in Nautilus is also very flaky. Sometimes it will show the network samba shares, other times, it won't see anything. When it does show shares, I can copy files for awhile, but then the connection quits again, completely freezing Nautilus.

I've seen a couple of other posts about samba issues. Is this related, or something different? I'm sure everyone's tired of hearing this, but these operations all worked great in Ubuntu Feisty (gutsy, too, i think, but it wasn't installed long smile )

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Difficult to manage our music collection when I can't move the files around easily!!

Thanks,  Scott

Board footer