You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-14 01:16:13

cu3edweb

Database backup

My cousin has a site that uses zencart. She is having problems with who she is dealing with and the only access she has to her site is through ftp. Is there a way I can backup the database for her zencart through ftp?

Thanks

#2 2007-12-14 02:17:32

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Database backup

perhaps she could write a php script to export the contents of the db to a file inside her ftp accessible path, and then ftp the file off.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2007-12-14 13:47:17

Endperform
Website

I don't believe you can backup through FTP itself, but as cactus mentioned, a php script to do an export should do the trick.  If it's mySQL or Postgres, there are probably a few scripts that do this already.  Additionally, you might want to ask her if her webhost has a control panel.  If so, it's possible something could be done from there as well.

#4 2007-12-14 20:36:31

cu3edweb

Endperform wrote:

I don't believe you can backup through FTP itself, but as cactus mentioned, a php script to do an export should do the trick.  If it's mySQL or Postgres, there are probably a few scripts that do this already.  Additionally, you might want to ask her if her webhost has a control panel.  If so, it's possible something could be done from there as well.

Yes I know if we had a control panel this would be solved easily. The problem is that where her website is stored is someone she went to high school with and they are having problems but he has only provided her with a ftp login. She is afraid that he is going to shut her site down. I ftp'ed all the files so I have them but I was going to see about backing up the database.

cactus wrote:

perhaps she could write a php script to export the contents of the db to a file inside her ftp accessible path, and then ftp the file off.

I really don't know how to do that.

#5 2007-12-14 20:40:09

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

If the hosting person is known, perhaps the easiest route would be to simply have her ask them (nicely) to provide you with a db dump/backup.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#6 2007-12-14 21:04:32

cu3edweb

That is our first route smile , but I was just wondering just to know.

Board footer