You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-14 02:19:43

gobeav3rs297

can't get vsftpd working

i can't seem to get my vsftpd setup working.  I want to allow logging in anonymous so that pacman can use it becuase i setup a small local mirror so that my two desktop, my laptop and my brother's laptop could use within my local network.  I'm running vsftpd as a stand-alone service and here is my vsftpd.conf file:

listen=YES
tcp_wrappers=YES
anonymous_enable=YES
local_enable=YES
ftp_username=mirror
nopriv_user=nobody
anon_root=/home/mirror/files
write_enable=NO
no_anon_password=YES
anon_upload_enable=NO
anon_mkdir_write_enable=NO
anon_other_write_enable=NO
anon_world_readable_only=YES
anon_max_rate=0
idle_session_timeout=200
data_connection_timeout=30
connect_from_port_20=YES
local_umask=022
port_enable=YES
hide_ids=YES
log_ftp_protocol=YES
syslog_enable=YES
ftpd_banner=ArchServ Repo
ls_recurse_enable=YES
use_localtime=YES
pasv_enable=YES
pasv_promiscuous=YES

I can't seem to connect to the server however.  I get a 421 Service not available message whenever i try.   Has one gotten anonymous login to work with vsftpd or just getting the service to work in general?  It could be because of my config file that is causing the problem but i've read browse though alot of forums on this topic and their conf file seem similar to mine.  Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Vincent

#2 2007-12-14 13:34:22

pooflinger

Re: can't get vsftpd working

vsftpd is hell to configure. I've gotten it to work for several instances, always after a huge amount of trial and error. It doesn't help much that it's really really badly documented. You'll find some solace in http://viki.brainsware.org/?en/Home. Good luck, I mean it.

#3 2007-12-14 16:04:00

dante4d

I had same problem. Always some 500 error oops smile. Finally I somewhat managed to connect to my ftp but couldn't get any file... Connecting as anonymous is complicated smile. Good luck too smile

#4 2007-12-14 17:56:56

gobeav3rs297

Thank you for the site, i'll check it out and play around with the configs some more.  I'll report if i get it working.

Thanks,
Vincent

#5 2007-12-15 00:52:05

Korey Kaczynski

Make sure you guys are modprobing the module "capability". Especially you, dante.

Also check hosts.allow and hosts.deny.  Though I don't believe I have an entry in either, and I don't have problems.  Maybe add vsftpd:ALL : ALLOW

Last edited by Korey Kaczynski (2007-12-15 01:00:27)

#6 2007-12-16 05:14:48

gobeav3rs297

in the end i just couldn't get vsftpd working so i removed it and went with bftpd and got it working after only a few minutes of tinkering with the config file for my settings.  4 mins w/ bftpd vs. 3 days w/ vsftpd (and it didn't work)...hahahaha, anyway my small local mirrror is now working awesomely for the four systems on my network.  Next goal: create a webserver to host a family genealogy page/project that my dad ask me to help him create.

Thanks for the help,
Vincent

#7 2007-12-16 06:03:00

elide

gobeav3rs297
Your config works fine on my system. So, there is problem with your /dev/hands, not with /usr/bin/vsftpd (;
Check anon_root permissions, tcp_wrappers or capability module.

#8 2007-12-17 00:04:30

gobeav3rs297

elide,

if you don't mind me asking what is /dev/hands?  I did have capability running and tcp-wrappers installed.  I'm still a new/young linux user, only been using linux for about a month now so definitely still learning but I am loving Arch so far.  It doesn't matter too much since i've bftpd running for me now but it always good to find out why something didn't work for learning experience.

thanks

Board footer