<match target="font">
                <test qual="all" name="rgba">
                        <const>unknown</const>
                </test>
                <edit name="rgba" mode="assign">
                        <const>rgb</const>
                </edit>
        </match>

is used for LCDs I believe. It shouldn't hurt to leave it in for a CRT, but if you have an LCD, it is necessary.

[edit]
Still having trouble with fonts..
:?  Starting to wonder if x.org is worth a shot. Anyone notice a marked difference between xfree86 and x.org in the area of font rendering?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#52 2004-06-18 09:42:49

lanrat

Re: wacky font spacing

Yes I know this section is for LCDs but it doesn't harm my CRT in any way so I decided to leave it uncommented. This way I won't have to remember to uncomment it when I copy this config to some other machine with LCD ;-)

I also tried other configs (with antialiasing turned on for all font sizes and hinting turned off) but i could only get results similar to the ones with autohinting turned on. I'll post the updated config later when I get back home - maybe it will work better for other people. The only thing I decided to include uncommented is the dpi section. It didn't improve the quality since I use xfce4 now (and it already has dpi set in its .xinitrc config) but this will make local.config more complete and easier to use with other WMs/DEs. BTW I'm usually using ms ttf fonts for web viewing (verdana) but I read some posts on other forums that differrent settings may look better with non-ttf fonts.

#53 2005-11-04 23:31:55

Lone_Wolf

I just applied lanrat's local.conf (with dpi changed to what X thinks i have , 67 dpi) , ran fc-cache -fv and tested.
KDE looks a lot better now, and firefox has improved also, but there are still some fonts that don' t work right.

They are all small fonts. i'll experiment with the size when AA is used and keep you up to date.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#54 2005-11-04 23:40:37

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Wow, 1.5 year old thread - but still, I think this is a good catch.  Maybe I'll tweak it some if I can.

Board footer