<match target="font">
                <test qual="all" name="rgba">
                        <const>unknown</const>
                </test>
                <edit name="rgba" mode="assign">
                        <const>rgb</const>
                </edit>
        </match>

is used for LCDs I believe. It shouldn't hurt to leave it in for a CRT, but if you have an LCD, it is necessary.

[edit]
Still having trouble with fonts..
:?  Starting to wonder if x.org is worth a shot. Anyone notice a marked difference between xfree86 and x.org in the area of font rendering?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#52 2004-06-18 09:42:49

lanrat

Re: wacky font spacing

Yes I know this section is for LCDs but it doesn't harm my CRT in any way so I decided to leave it uncommented. This way I won't have to remember to uncomment it when I copy this config to some other machine with LCD ;-)

I also tried other configs (with antialiasing turned on for all font sizes and hinting turned off) but i could only get results similar to the ones with autohinting turned on. I'll post the updated config later when I get back home - maybe it will work better for other people. The only thing I decided to include uncommented is the dpi section. It didn't improve the quality since I use xfce4 now (and it already has dpi set in its .xinitrc config) but this will make local.config more complete and easier to use with other WMs/DEs. BTW I'm usually using ms ttf fonts for web viewing (verdana) but I read some posts on other forums that differrent settings may look better with non-ttf fonts.

#53 2005-11-04 23:31:55

Lone_Wolf

I just applied lanrat's local.conf (with dpi changed to what X thinks i have , 67 dpi) , ran fc-cache -fv and tested.
KDE looks a lot better now, and firefox has improved also, but there are still some fonts that don' t work right.

They are all small fonts. i'll experiment with the size when AA is used and keep you up to date.

Booting with apg Openrc, NOT systemd.
Automounting : not needed, i prefer pmount
Aur helpers : makepkg + my own local repo === rarely need them

#54 2005-11-04 23:40:37

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Wow, 1.5 year old thread - but still, I think this is a good catch.  Maybe I'll tweak it some if I can.

Board footer