You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-21 04:39:47

infinite_turtles

network is unreachable

Hi everyone.

I'm setting up Archlinux on my g/f's computer but can't get networking to work.

the setup on our end is simply a modem between the computer and the phoneline.
as per the archwiki page the /etc/rc.conf looks like this:
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(eth0)
ROUTES=(!gateway)

the output of both "/etc/rc.d/network start" and "dhcpcd eth0" is:
Error, eth0: netlink: no such process

which i assume means the error stems from /etc/rc.d/network script calling dhcpcd.

despite this, it appears to all work. after these commands ifconfig will show IP's within the range the ISP gives out.
dhcpcd generates files giving the correct process ID, DNS server IP, gateway IP, etc.

however any attempt to use the interface eth0 fails.
"ping google.com" returns host not found (I'm guessing it cant use the interface and thus looks up the hosts file)
"ping <IP value>" returns "connect: Network is unreachable"

when using a gentoo livedisk the network is automatically brought up and works perfectly. I say this so you know that the ISP does not require authentication and that the hardware is all in order. You might say the easy way out would be to go with gentoo but I have a fondness for arch from using it myself for the last half a year or so. also i think it would be much better suited for her.

thankyou for your time, hope to hear back.

#2 2008-01-21 10:04:59

mico

Re: network is unreachable

Hi. Why are you using dhcp if you connect directly to ISP and so you don't have a router with dhcp server? You should connect with pppoe, the package rp-pppoe is in the repositories.

I can't tell you what exactly to put in /etc/rc.conf because I haven't used pppoe for years, but here is a general guide:
http://www.gnulinuxclub.org/index.php?o … &Itemid=31

#3 2008-01-22 23:36:14

infinite_turtles

I've tried using pppoe on it also. going through pppoe-setup and then using pppoe/pppoe-start/pppoe-setup etc. they all time out without a connection.
Whats more is when running off the gentoo livedisk the command "ps aux" does not have any ppp programs running and pppoe-status (command to report the status of pppoe links) returns with "pppoe-status: Link is down" and yet i can still surf the web

#4 2008-01-23 01:22:11

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps the system has a modem at the phone line and needs a crossover cable for computer connection.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#5 2008-01-23 18:16:13

Sjoden
Website

What interface is showing up with an IP address, DNS, etc? Does your rc.conf have a default gateway defined manually? If so, it is probably different than the network that your ISP will give you and you can comment it out and retry, that is, if you don't go through a dsl router.

#6 2008-01-24 22:22:34

infinite_turtles

Hello again.

Writing this forum post from the computer in question, which as you should guess means its on the net.

the modem runs a dhcp server and gets optus to assign an IP for me, and translates packages between ethernet and ppp for me.
I'm still not sure what is going wrong though. i think maybe the modem sends me the wrong gateway address or something like that.

It is *functional* if i set up the routing table manually though. here is the script, which i am about to have run on startup:

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig eth0 up
route add -net 10.1.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth0
dhcpcd eth0
route add default gw 10.1.1.1

dhcpcd still spits out that weird error message though. "Error, eth0: netlink: no such process"
I'm not having network troubles anymore, but I'm still curious about whats going wrong that i have to do all that

Board footer