You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-20 18:23:26

IgnisFatuus85

Azureus, dowonloads will only start when launched as root

Hi everyone,

I am a seasoned Windows vet, but this is my first time giving linux a whirl so please be gentle.

After running through 10> installs of Arch on various systems and VMware I finally went for it and set up my main box with Arch.

I've had problems here and there, but with the help of the wiki, forums, and google have been able to solve most all but this one.

After installing azureus via pacman I started it up, threw in a torrent, and.... 0 peers, 0 seeds, no transfer.  I've tried multiple torrents and the
trackers list them as having good sized swarms so I know this can't be right.  Sometimes it will see a few seeds/peers.  From time to time
I've even seen it say that it has connected to seeds/peers, but the data never starts flowing.

I'm not sure exactly which log blocked connections are listed in, but I've checked pretty much everything in /var/logs and haven't found
anything.  I also added my Azureus listening port into /etc/hosts.allow.  My router is upnp and Azureus reports successful upnp mappings
on startup.  I can even pass the NAT/Firewall test.

For the sake of troubleshooting I tried launching Azureus via 'gksu azureus'... Works perfect.  Problem is gone entirely which says to me that
this has to be something permission related?  And yes, I have tried launching it again as my normal user since then with the same results.

I haven't been able to find anything remotely similar to this issue here or anywhere else on the web so it has to be something specific to my setup.
Given that this is my first regular use setup I have been poking and tweaking quite a bit so it's very possible that I messed something up.

Please let me know which config files you guys want to see so I can post them.

Thanks in advance,

- Ignis

#2 2008-01-21 16:26:36

Aaron
Website

Re: Azureus, dowonloads will only start when launched as root

Are you saving the files you're downloading to a directory you own?  Try downloading to your home directory.

#3 2008-01-21 17:41:24

Zer0

Are you donwloading to a different partition or hard drive?  If so then it's a group issue..  Make sure your user is part of the storage and disk groups..

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Groups

#4 2008-01-24 00:19:09

IgnisFatuus85

I am downloading to the default location for azureus which is:

~/.azureus/Documents/Azureus Downloads

My user is a member of the storage and disk groups.

#5 2008-01-26 23:47:42

IgnisFatuus85

Hey guys, I could really use some help with this.  I've had to boot back into my Windows install whenever I want to run torrents and it's getting rather frustrating.  Any advice or things to try would be appreciated.  Thanks.

#6 2008-01-27 16:17:33

Zer0

I'm sure you already tried this but just incase you haven't..

change the default download location to a different place and see if it works.

Also.. what's the output of
ls -l ~/.azureus/Documents/Azureus Downloads

#7 2008-01-27 18:54:56

peart

The problem seems to come well before writing to file.
Are you using port numbers > 1024?  Only root can used privileged ports.
Is iptables blocking your ports?
Are there any interesting messages in your ~/.azureus/logs directory?
If you start it from a terminal, does it show any messages?

#8 2008-01-28 21:20:16

IgnisFatuus85

Thanks for the response peart.  I am using ports > 1024 as is the Azureus default.  Since Azureus uses these ports for a reason (better chance of getting around ISPs attempts at blocking bittorrent based file sharing) is there a way I can give my standard user permission to use this specific port?  In this case port 33507 TCP and UDP?

Also there doesn't appear to be anything interesting in my log files.  There are a few various errors related to some setting tweaks I tried earlier on.  I have since restored these settings to default and there were no errors on my last launch of Azureus.

Last edited by IgnisFatuus85 (2008-01-28 21:33:15)

#9 2008-01-28 21:26:10

IgnisFatuus85

Thank you for your responses as well Zer0.  There are directories in "~/.azureus/Documents/Azureus Downloads" corresponding to the d/ls I have attempting to run in Azureus.  This issue does not seem to be related to permissions pertaining to file write access, but rather the permissions regarding network usage.  I think peart is on the money with the port numbers.

Board footer