You are not logged in.

#26 2004-06-23 16:09:37

pooh sun tzu

Re: Can't get grub or lilo to work

Gave a manual partition using slackware's fdisk, and still a no go sad Thanks though!

oh ya, it could also depend on what kind of hardware ur using. bios date, chipset etc etc.

BIOS date is correctly set, Pentium III chipset. Not sure what you mean?

#27 2004-06-23 16:10:56

xerxes2
Website

use ext2 for /boot

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#28 2004-06-23 16:21:25

pooh sun tzu

use ext2 for /boot

I already said I did THAT. Jesus christ, I'm done with you. Learn to read the entire thread!

#29 2004-06-23 16:28:30

xerxes2
Website

Nihao!
Use ext2 for /boot and I give you a fortune cookie
and stop the whining , arch rocks big_smile

#30 2004-06-23 17:36:10

sarah31
Website

pooh sun tzu wrote:

2. Make sure your menu.lst look like this:
# (0) Arch Linux
title Arch Linux [/boot/vmlinuz]
root (hd0,2)
kernel (hd0.0)/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/discs/disc0/part3 ro

Thank you for quoting the default configuration file.

who's default configuration file? the one i quoted is the one i got as default. that is what i was going on. i have never ever seen a different default for arch's menu.lst. that is what i was going by and i assume everyone would have since i know of no variations to it. with the one i quoted you would have never been able to boot with the setup you mentioned.

it appears as though the default is now changed, so I assume since you had issues from the get go that you installed via ftp and since you installed via ftp I must assume that "default" instructions are different. therefore i absolve myself of any of your blame games. i encourage you to file a bug report as you may be the first person to experience the effects of the changes in the install and default grub setup.

i personally have never had a problem installing arch so i don't really get phsed by your accusational manner. i suggest thought that posing questions in any distros forum in such a bitter tone will really get you nowhere. one of the reasons i did not answer earlier when you first posted was because you came across as a bit curt.

anyway, good luck with whatever distro you settle on.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#31 2004-06-23 20:12:52

xerxes2
Website

Mr Green wrote:
xerxes2 wrote:

If you want "optimized", Gentoo is the way to go. Heck, if you are lucky it's only takes a week to install it.

Wow that quick  lol rofl

Mr Green

Hehehehe, if you are lucky wink
I tried it before I installed arch. I quit halfthrough the "bootstrap".

#32 2004-06-23 21:05:57

sarah31
Website

my install died early on and it took hour hour of being ignored on their irc channel before one of the developers gave me a solution. it was really annoying since the bug was not mentioned anywhere on their forums or otherwise and the bug killed the install process (about two hours in).

that was just one of many super annoying problems i had with gentoo.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#33 2004-06-23 21:38:22

xerxes2
Website

nice for you , I quit by myself but I probably would have run into trouble later, hmmm I wonder when pooh is going to show up , if she just follows my three step install guide she should be up and running in an  hour,  big_smile  big_smile

#34 2004-06-23 23:02:08

cs25x

One point should be made about using a boot part,
do NOT use ext3, reiserfs, or and other journaled filesystem.
1/you are not writing to /boot, and so journaling is not in the slightest bit useful.
2/The journal takes space, and takes more space than the actual files  that are going to be stored on that boot partition.

That said : It is not a question of whether reiser or ext is recognised by grub.

I recently installed Buffalo on hda3, and it killed grub in the mbr. I tried to get it back with a Slackware 9.1 CD, failed. Then I downloaded another base Arch. I went thru the motions of revealing which partitions I wanted to use, and setup the grub, without modifying anything. That kept the 'install boot loader' section happy. So, I installed the boot loader ( grub ) and away we go.

My setup is simple, part1 ~ 30G, part2 ~520M part3 ~ 6.5G
part1 contains Arch, part 2 is not used, but it is swap for braindead distros that believe I need swap. part3 contains Buffalo  which thinks I need lilo.
CPU celery 1.7 which thinks it is 1.9
RAM 1G
Chipset via 82cx thingy.

--(*(cs25x--));

#35 2004-06-23 23:09:09

lanrat

My partitions setup:

Name   Flags  Part Type  FS Type           [Label]     Size (MB)
 ----------------------------------------------------------------                                                                                                              
 hda1   Boot   Primary    Linux ext3                    501.75
 hda2          Primary    Linux swap                    509.97
 hda3          Primary    Linux ReiserFS                41290.91

My grub menu.lst:

title  Arch Linux - kernel 2.6
root   (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/discs/disc0/part3 ro

It worked from the first boot without any problems. Of course I had to manually change root and kernel settings during install (but that's why arch includes this option :-)). I did at least two of such setups for different machines. Sometimes kernel line needs acpi=off apm=off but it's not grub related. If this can't really work for you then there is no other thing I can think of than posting a bug.

#36 2004-06-24 01:14:27

cs25x

Quote:
use ext2 for /boot

I already said I did THAT. Jesus christ, I'm done with you. Learn to read the entire thread!

Quote:
1. Use ext2 for /boot.

You must have missed where I said I did this already. And you must have missed documentation (that you seem to know) that says grub handels ext3 as well as ext2. IF arch breaks this (which I know it doesn't) then it's a bad distro. Since I know arch doesn't break grub and that the same events occured when I used ext2 happened for ext3, we can eliminate that now can't we?

At no point prior to these quotes from your posts in reply to xerxes2  have you said you used ext2 for /boot, if you do not believe me, just do a search for ext2 on the posts. You have told us that you are using ext3.

Now, please be certain that you really have an ext2 filesystem on /boot, and simply allow the install script to install your system.

At this point I think you displayed a total absence of manners, and a complete inability to follow simple instructions. These people ate helpful and patient. They are also very knowledgeable so if you want them to help you you have to play by the ordinary rules of niceness. If you have problems with a post you think is dumb, stupid, or not very helpful, just keep those feelings to yourself - at least until your computer troubles are fixed. Then your other problems will go away too. Clear?

--(*(cs25x--));

Board footer