You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-03 23:37:02

Zerathidune

NIS and group ids < 100

Hi,

I'm trying to set up an archlinux machine as an nis client, and I'd like to add myself to the storage group among others, but it seems like nis won't serve up groups with ids less than 100. (storage is 95 on archlinux.)

I created the group on the server (which currently runs RHEL 5 - this may change in the future) with the same gid as on the client (95) and added myself to it there, and on that machine, I appear to be a member of the group, but not on any of the client machines. is there some way to get NIS to serve up ALL groups, not just those above gid 100?

Thanks.

#2 2008-02-04 21:37:15

Zerathidune

Re: NIS and group ids < 100

here's a different question:

is there some way to say on the client machine, anyone who is a member of groupA, is implicity a member of groupB?

this way I could just add everyone to a group that the NIS server will distribute, and then on the client, say anyone who is a member of that group, is also a member of storage, optical, audio and video.

also, if anyone has a suggestion as to how else to get around this I'd appreciate it.

#3 2008-02-05 16:56:27

rhfrommn

I have administered NIS for several years, but not too recently.  I believe the issue is that in your NIS passwd map you must not have the storage userid defined.  NIS should publish whatever is in your map, I don't recall any restriction on which IDs are allowed.  I can imagine some very good reasons to exclude the low-numbered system users from NIS, but if you really want them to be handled by NIS you should be able to add that user to your map.  I bet the default NIS setup gives you a map without them for security.

#4 2008-02-05 19:00:49

stka

You should change the settings für systemgroups in your Makefile in /var/lib/yp (I hope it is the same path in archlinux) I don't use NIS anymore.

Board footer