You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-09 03:06:40

fishbowl42

wifi bcm43xx on presario c500 is being finicky

I have been using Linux (Debian/Ubuntu) for some time now and decided to give arch a try to ween myself from the gui and auto configuration of apt and learn  more about Linux. I am official addicted to this distribution. I have been fallowing the wiki and forums to configure arch on my presario c500 and I am impressed with Arch overall and the community. I have come to one strange problem I haven't been able to find a solution for.

I've fallowed the wiki verbatim to install my network and wireless and using wicd the internal bcm43xx connects to my campus wifi without a problem, but when I am hanging out at the local cafe it finds the essid and says it is connected but Firefox and ping both timeout. What is strange, is that windows connects fine, and Zenwalk using wicd connects, and Ubuntu using network manager connects.

I tried connecting manualy using
iwlist wlan0 scan (to find the essid "cafenet")
iwconfig wlan0 essid cafenet
ifconfig wlan0 up
dhclient wlan0

it tels me it found the network, configured my ip with dhcp and everything looks good - like it does when i use wicd.

but . . . ping and Firefox and everything else times out.

I have tried loading both the nidswrapper module and the bcm43xx in my rc.conf (commeting the other ones out) fallowing the wiki's...

it hasn't made a difference?

what am I missing?

why can it access my campus wifi but not the cafe their both open networks and how come zenwalk and Ubuntu don't have any problems?

Suggestions? I would appreciate it!

#2 2008-02-09 03:24:57

fishbowl42

Re: wifi bcm43xx on presario c500 is being finicky

Okay - so I don't know exactly how - but it is working now. I have the bcm43xx Linux driver loaded, and last time I booted into arch I used dhcpcd instead of dhclient and i got it to ping and browse... so I killed the wifi and tried wicd - it worked. So i reboot to see if it will do it again with wicd without loading the dhcpcd manuely and it worked - now the question is will it work on campus tomarow?

ill be damned if each computer doesnt have its own personality!

Board footer