You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-24 20:01:16

ManOnONeWheel

Deluge torrent causes major issues

When I start deluge and start a torrent, I get a huge amount of incoming TCP traffic from every kind of IP on Deluge's port. The real trouble is that even after I close deluge, the traffic keeps coming. It's like 2 hits a second. I also have random ports opening and closing in the range of ~30000 to ~60000. This trend keeps up even after a restart. It even keeps up if I completely remove deluge form my computer. I am very afraid of whats happening to my computer. I've only been torrenting legal things like other linux distro's and such.

#2 2008-02-24 20:08:10

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Deluge torrent causes major issues

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2008-02-24 20:19:59

ManOnONeWheel

Ok, yes I know how BitTorrent works. The problem is that even when I am NOT torrenting I am getting all of these connection attempts and strange ports opening up. I have run deluge before in other distro's, and when I stop the torrent the connections stop as well. Why is it still trying to connect when nothing is downloading.

#4 2008-02-24 21:39:02

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I had an odd issue (maybe a few versions back) where deluge would crash when i closed it.
The gui would disappear but the process was still active.

Try doing a process list and see if it is still running in the background, and if it is.. kill it.

Other than that, you may have better luck asking on the Deluge forums, if it seems to be a deluge only issue.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2008-02-24 22:29:13

brebs

ManOnONeWheel wrote:

Why is it still trying to connect when nothing is downloading.

I reckon you're confusing it (i.e. deluge on your PC) with other PC's trying to contact it. They are trying to contact it because it was active previously, and probably hasn't told them that it is no longer active.

#6 2008-02-25 01:02:38

ManOnONeWheel

brebs wrote:
ManOnONeWheel wrote:

I reckon you're confusing it (i.e. deluge on your PC) with other PC's trying to contact it. They are trying to contact it because it was active previously, and probably hasn't told them that it is no longer active.

Yes, you are correct, that is what I meant.

As far as I can tell, there is no deluge process running over, either in the gnome-system-monitor list or in a ps -e. The thing that concerns me the most  I guess is the ports that randomly open up. They show up when I do a port scan with the Network Tools/netstat front-end.

Also, even with the 51546 port open, download speeds are good for some torrents but not all of them, regardless of how many peers i am connected to, and it also does not seed at all, ever.

#7 2008-02-25 05:36:13

bionnaki

just use one port.

do you have dht enabled? if you use private trackers, disable it.

there's no reason why using just 51546 would degrade torrent performance. must be a weak swarm.

if you are 100% complete, then you a seeder. other's are trying to download the files from you, hence the connections you are receiving.

there is no damage to your computer other than using bandwidth.

Last edited by bionnaki (2008-02-25 05:38:35)

Board footer