You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-28 21:37:28

gunnihinn

[solved] Wireless trouble, iwconfig ineffective

I'm having real trouble getting my wireless card working. It's a Broadcom 4311 moel in an HP DV2410 laptop. Back in the day I got it working with Ubuntu, but then my switch to Arch and a wired connection came along, so I haven't thought about it in a long time.

Now, by using ndiswrapper and the official HP driver I can get the little led lights working, the card shows up as the wlan0 interface and supports the scanning of nearby connections. However I can't change any settings; setting the essid, wep key, ap, etc. don't return any error messages, but they don't do anything either.

I'm using the bcmwl5 driver from sp34152a.exe from HP, par instructions from an Ubuntu Feisty "No-Fluff" guide. The bcm43xx driver does not work; the wireless interface shows up as eth1 and doesn't support any iwconfig commands, or scanning.

Relevant output:

iwconfig wlan0
wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:off/any  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated   
          Bit Rate:54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:32 dBm   
          RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B   
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

lspci | grep Broadcom
05:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 02)

ndiswrapper -l
bcmwl5 : driver installed
        device (14E4:4311) present (alternate driver: ssb)

Is there anyone here who's got one of these working, or has any idea how to? I like to think I'm handling the internet withdrawal quite well, but still. big_smile

Last edited by gunnihinn (2008-03-02 16:50:52)

#2 2008-03-02 16:50:27

gunnihinn

Re: [solved] Wireless trouble, iwconfig ineffective

Well, it's working now. I reinstalled ndiswrapper a couple of times, am still using the same driver, but the whole thing started working when I tried Wifi-radar.

I still haven't checked if iwconfig is still giving me trouble, and frankly I don't give a $#%!. Thing works, leave it.

Board footer