You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-27 18:45:16

perlluver

Set up LAMP server, but not viewable from outside.

I set up a LAMP server, followed the guide http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LAMP there.  I can view it from localhost or the IP address or the web address http://plaufcan.homeunix.org.  But it is not viewable outside of my local network.  What else do I have to do?

In a world without walls and fences, who needs gates or windows?

#2 2008-02-27 18:57:59

FeatherMonkey

Re: Set up LAMP server, but not viewable from outside.

Firewalls depending on whats on the network, also name resolution won't work unless you have a registered address outside local network iirc.

Here gives free ones http://www.dyndns.com/

Last edited by FeatherMonkey (2008-02-27 19:12:51)

#3 2008-02-27 19:20:34

perlluver

That is where I got the plaufcan.homeunix.org address.  And I thought I had it set up right, But others can't view it.  I also set up my modem and router to allow incoming traffic to my IP Address, but still no luck.

#4 2008-02-27 19:52:15

FeatherMonkey

Does your router have a way of updating dyndns(if you use a dynamic ip)? Can you use your external ip to view it?

If the router doesn't update dyndns then you'll need something like ddclient or inadyn. When you can see it with your external ip you know its name resolution, others should also be able to use your ext ip if you can.

Last edited by FeatherMonkey (2008-02-27 19:53:49)

#5 2008-02-27 20:01:27

perlluver

FeatherMonkey wrote:

Does your router have a way of updating dyndns(if you use a dynamic ip)? Can you use your external ip to view it?

If the router doesn't update dyndns then you'll need something like ddclient or inadyn. When you can see it with your external ip you know its name resolution, others should also be able to use your ext ip if you can.

I set up the router, it does have dyndns funtions.  But the IP address it is using is in internal one, not and external one.  Not sure how to fix that either.  It is showin a 192.***.*.** number not the external 96.***.***.**.  I don't know why it did that either.

Last edited by perlluver (2008-02-27 20:02:13)

#6 2008-02-27 20:10:49

FeatherMonkey

Mmm think that's not relevant yet, what is, is whether you can first connect to the web page via the ext ip if yes then its name resolution if not then something isn't forwarding requests correctly, modem or router (because at the moment it sounds like apache is listening fine on port 80.)

#7 2008-02-27 20:28:45

perlluver

FeatherMonkey wrote:

Mmm think that's not relevant yet, what is, is whether you can first connect to the web page via the ext ip if yes then its name resolution if not then something isn't forwarding requests correctly, modem or router (because at the moment it sounds like apache is listening fine on port 80.)

It is not available from the external IP address.  Just the Internal.  The router isn't blocking it, but the modem could be, even though I set up port forwarding.

#8 2008-02-27 20:32:18

FeatherMonkey

You're getting closer then wink

#9 2008-03-06 18:23:29

TheDoctor
Website

If your router is showing an external IP address of 192.x.x.x, I am guessing that you are on a DSL line, and that you more than likely used the windows setup software to configure your internet connection.

Basically, when you run the software, many of the modems go into a very dumb router configuration.  Your router is picking up a natted ip address from the modem, and using that to update dyndns. 

# nslookup plaufcan.homeunix.org
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   plaufcan.homeunix.org
Address: 192.168.2.101

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that you can open your browser and go to http://192.168.2.1 (or alternatively http://192.168.2.254) and you'll get access to the modem.  You'll have to find the page that allows it to be set to a bridge.   After that, you'll have to set the router up to do any authentication that your ISP requires.   

One of the large ISP's in Canada use modems like this for their DSL,  and it causes no end of problem when SOHO users add another router.  NATted NAT connections do not always play nice.

Board footer