You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-05 21:16:32

QuimaxW
Website

Konqueror & SSH Proxy

I'm trying to figure out how to get Konqueror (and as such all other K* apps) to work through my ssh proxy. The proxy itself works fine.

ssh -C -D 8080 myserver.com

Using this, I get a valid Socks5 proxy that firefox can use. I've done this with my Arch laptop and my Windows (putty) system at work. An IP check does show that the remote server thinks I'm at home.

I just can't figure out how to get this to work with Konqueror...it's frustrating and stuff....

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot

#2 2008-03-06 18:34:00

TheDoctor
Website

Re: Konqueror & SSH Proxy

Under KDE Control Center -> Internet and Network -> Proxy
Set the info there.  But it is KDE system wide, so keep that in mind.  I don't believe that there is a way to set it solely for Konqueror.

#3 2008-03-06 18:46:12

QuimaxW
Website

I've been trying this exactly there. I was getting an error that the socks libraries couldn't be loaded. Now, I'm not getting any errors, but I'm not sure that KDE actually supports SOCKS5 that ssh is setting up.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot

#4 2008-03-06 19:36:31

TheDoctor
Website

Do you have any socks servers or clients installed?  KDE apparently works with dante and NEC Socks.

#5 2008-03-06 21:23:09

QuimaxW
Website

I don't have any socks servers or clients installed, I've just been trying to do this with the ssh tunnel thing. I'll look through the AUR tonight for dante or NEC socks to see what I can find.

#6 2008-03-06 21:28:45

TheDoctor
Website

QuimaxW wrote:

I don't have any socks servers or clients installed, I've just been trying to do this with the ssh tunnel thing. I'll look through the AUR tonight for dante or NEC socks to see what I can find.

Dante is in the AUR, but setting it up is a huge pain in the ass.  Read here for some interesting information: http://movingparts.net/2005/01/24/its-t … usability/

If you need to use ssh tunneling, Firefox works fine with ssh as a socks proxy, or you can wait until KDE4 goes primetime, as it has native socks built in, and will not rely on external socks programs.  It will also (apparently) allow individual programs to use socks proxies, rather than the whole KDE suite.

#7 2008-03-07 03:16:21

QuimaxW
Website

Perhaps I may give KDE4 a shot (someday). I'm mostly trying to get KMail to go through a proxy like I have Firefox going through it.

Board footer