You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-18 11:04:57

LazarusHC

[Solved]Strange problem with netcfg

I broke netcfg, and I'm not really sure what's wrong.  Here's what happened.  I installed netcfg, then installed archassistant.  I started by setting up a profile in archassistant, then decided that I wanted the profile to startup at boot.  So, I added the profile to rc.conf, ran /etc/rc.d/network start, and noticed that it was looking for the profile in /etc/net-profiles, instead of /etc/network.d (which is where archassistant was looking).  So, I copied over the file, ran network start again, and up it went.  Then I opened up archassistant, which had been set to autoconnect.  But instead of saying "wlan0 is already in use" (like it had been saying when I tired to reconnect before), is connected again.  Somehow, both the network deamon and archassistant managed to connect at the same time, both using wlan0. Not thinking much of it,  I rebooted, hopping it would connect properly at startup, but... now neither one will connect.  The network deamon times out, and archassistant just says it can't connect.

I know that was a long winded explanation, and i"m not really posting any real info, but I have no idea where to start with this one.  So, anyone have any idea what happened?

Last edited by LazarusHC (2008-03-19 08:16:48)

#2 2008-03-18 11:12:18

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: [Solved]Strange problem with netcfg

No idea what happened, but I'd recommend setting it up without archassistant first. netcfg is very easy to use IMO, and there's a detailed wiki page about it.

#3 2008-03-18 12:29:04

rson451
Website

probably unrelated to your problem, but if archassistant is looking for profiles in /etc/network.d/, then it is likely using netcfg2 from testing, not netcfg.  i'd suggest you use netcfg2 as soon it will be migrating into the main repos anyway (or so i've heard).

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#4 2008-03-18 17:34:49

Army

$  pacman -Ss netcfg
core/netcfg 2.0.6-1
    Network configuration and profile scripts

This was moved to core some days ago! And yes, archassistant uses netcfg2. I just used it for creating my profiles, because I was too stupid for it wink Then it can be started easily with

sudo netcfg2 Home

Brilliant application!

#5 2008-03-18 21:56:49

LazarusHC

Army wrote:

Brilliant application!

I agree, it is a brilliant application.  For the brief hour that I had it working, it was fantastic. 

The funny thing is that I *was* using the new netcft2, but they were still looking in two different places, and clearly acting independantly from one another.  Is there some way they could have messed with eachother configuration files or something? 

In any case, until everything broke, it was the easiest time I've ever had setting up a wireless connection.

Last edited by LazarusHC (2008-03-18 21:57:22)

#6 2008-03-19 07:11:00

LazarusHC

Ahah!  I figured it out.  Unfortunately this error occurred because of a chronic condition that I have. It's called I-can-do-it-without-the-manual syndrome.  If I had actually read the wiki completely, and followed it's carefully and clearly laid out directions, none of this would have happened.

As it turned out this is what happened:  I set up a profile with archassistant, then proceeded to set the profile to startup at boot.  The problem is that the netcfg 2.0.6-1 package comes with both v1 and v2.  So, being the dunce I am, I actually set up a v1 profile, (which did work at first), and up it went.  I then attempted to run archassistant, which was using v2; this somehow broke v1 (I'm still not sure how, not that it matters), and then when I tried to use archassistant (in another stroke of genius), I forgot to run it as root or at least sudo.  Thus, archassistant wouldn't connect, either. 

So, what did we learn?  READ THE WIKI!  Oh... and run archassistant as root, or it won't connect (they really should do something about that).

#7 2008-03-19 07:56:02

tomk
Forum Fellow

Just for clarity's sake... netcfg 2.0.6-1 is netcfg2. The original netcfg (v1, as you call it) was part of the initscripts package, and is now deprecated. So it is incorrect to say "netcfg 2.0.6-1 package comes with both v1 and v2".

Anyway, glad you worked it out.

#8 2008-03-22 01:03:19

TheGrudge
Website

I have a question: I have installed netcfg because the new initscripts package told me to do so. But now my profiles are not loaded anymore. So I disabled network from DAEMONS array and added net-profiles. Is this the right way?

digiKam developer - www.digikam.org

#9 2008-03-22 01:12:16

rson451
Website

LazarusHC wrote:

I-can-do-it-without-the-manual syndrome.

that made my day. smile

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#10 2008-03-22 05:17:50

tigrmesh
IRC Op

TheGrudge wrote:

I have a question: I have installed netcfg because the new initscripts package told me to do so. But now my profiles are not loaded anymore. So I disabled network from DAEMONS array and added net-profiles. Is this the right way?

You might find this wiki page helpful:  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_Profiles

#11 2008-03-22 08:43:54

TheGrudge
Website

Well I read the wiki and the manual, but just enabling the "net-profiles daemon" wasn't working. After disabling the "network daemon", everything seems to work fine... but I don't know if it is possible to really remove network from DAEMONS array. I know the wiki says so but I'm quite confused...

But now I have a new question and I couldn't find the answer in the man page nor the wiki (maybe I'm blind):
I added NET=menu to my kernel parameters in GRUB, but since I installed netcfg this isn't working anymore. Do I have to edit this or is it just not possible to call netcfg from GRUB anymore?

digiKam developer - www.digikam.org

#12 2008-03-22 15:31:31

tigrmesh
IRC Op

TheGrudge wrote:

I added NET=menu to my kernel parameters in GRUB, but since I installed netcfg this isn't working anymore. Do I have to edit this or is it just not possible to call netcfg from GRUB anymore?

Wow.  Good question.  The netcfg developer has been participating in this thread:  http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=43863.  I would ask there.

Board footer