You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-24 10:31:09

peque

WOL ??? Not an option

Hey Forum.

Is this normal or what?

I've starting building a server that I want to get up and running with VMware - for getting the options of testmachines.
Since I wont have that server standing inside in my livingroom - I want to place it in the Garage, but then I need to be able to wake the machine using WOL.
But I have a netcard used to install the server - Which didn't have the WOL option.
I installed a new Netcard - with the WOl option available, and installed that, but each time I want to enable the settings with:

# ethtool -s eth0 wol g
Cannot get current wake-on-lan settings: Operation not supported
  not setting wol

This is comming directly from a Ubuntu server where it work.and the motherboard are also supporting WOL!

So why does this happends ??? Is there a way to make this work??? This should work out of the box, carse I had it up and running on another server.
Is there a way to enable that function - since the netcard can/&should be able to handle it!

Just getting better .... All the time

#2 2008-03-24 20:38:55

jordi
Website

Re: WOL ??? Not an option

setting wol requires root permissions

#3 2008-03-25 08:10:38

peque

Re: WOL ??? Not an option

Well.
Damn - I didn't think of that.
Off caurse it requires root permission. But the outprint is when running the command as root.
So that isn't the problem, The only user that is on the machine is at the moment root - untill the other things getting fixet.

So permission is properly the problem, but since root is running the command - that's not it?

Just getting better .... All the time

Board footer