You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-04 02:31:19

dldiamond

ndiswrapper problems.

Hi,

I installed Arch Linux 4 or 5 days ago and I am currently having a problem that is giving me headaches. I have searched the web over and over for a solution and I can't seem to find one.

I have a wireless card which is a DLink DWL-G510. I got this card working using the ndiswrapper and the WL138 Asus 64 bit drivers and everything was fine.

Then my system had a crash. Actually, I was stuck in a situation where 2 problems prevented me from rebooting in a nice way. I tried to shut down KDE and for reasons I have now fixed it would hang with a completely black screen. At the same time I was having a keyboard problem where I couldn't use the shift or control keys. Therefore I couldn't switch to a vc and reboot. I had to use the reset button on the computer.

Ever since that time I have been unable to get my card to work. I tried it with a Knoppix boot disc and it was able to detect and see the card using iwconfig on that, so I know its not the fault of the card. I think I must have corrupted something when I rebooted.

Currently I get one of two problems when I try to install. I go through ndiswrapper -i and it installs and ndiswrapper -l says the card has been detected. When I try to run modprobe ndiswrapper I get one of two situation.

1) I check dmesg and I see
ndiswrapper version 1.52 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=yes)
ndiswrapper (link_pe_images:576): fixing KI_USER_SHARED_DATA address in the driver
ndiswrapper: driver mrv8k64 (Marvell,06/08/2005,2.7.1.19) loaded
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [APC2] enabled at IRQ 17
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:03:07.0[A] -> Link [APC2] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
ndiswrapper: using IRQ 17
ndiswrapper (mp_init:216): couldn't initialize device: C0000001
ndiswrapper (pnp_start_device:439): Windows driver couldn't initialize the device (C0000001)
ndiswrapper (mp_halt:259): device ffff810119f96700 is not initialized - not halting
ndiswrapper: device eth%d removed
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:03:07.0 disabled
ndiswrapper: probe of 0000:03:07.0 failed with error -22
usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
NET: Registered protocol family 10
lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
eth0: no IPv6 routers present
vmnet1: no IPv6 routers present
vmnet8: no IPv6 routers present

2) Sometimes immediately and sometimes using dmesg I will see the following message and I will be unable to remove ndiswrapper, so further testing requires a reboot, which is very annoying. The message in the system log is different from what I get, but it is something to do with a

windows driver cannot initialize device.

I have tried reloading the ndiswrapper and ndiswrapper-utils packages but that didn't seem to do much. I'm having trouble remembering some of the other things I've tried with this. Oh yeah, I tried the sources from the ndiswrapper sourceforge site but that didn't seem to do anything either.

Any ideas?

Daniel

#2 2008-04-04 12:18:56

dldiamond

Re: ndiswrapper problems.

Its funny, but in the process of doing this I was playing around with all kinds of things and reinstalling components to see if anything had been corrupted. In the process of doing this I tried the unstable kernel and then for some reason I lost ethernet. I couldn't get it to function in the regular kernel (I think it was still working for the new kernel), the arch install cd 2007.08.2, or the Knoppix 3.5.1 dvd. The cure was to reboot into windows and then reboot back into Linux. I wonder if the same thing would work for my wireless driver. Unfortunately the only windows I have install is 64 bit Vista and I don't have a functioning wireless driver for it so I cannot get it to work anywhere right now. Yes, I am aware that I am using the 64 bit ASUS driver in Linux but it says it is unable to start the device in Windows. This is not new, it has always happened.

Board footer