You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-04 23:25:19

dhodgeh

ath0 gone after base update

OK, I had Arch up and running on my Thinkpad R61i with the Atheros wireless chip set.  Everything was OK until I installed a couple of programs that complained about a down level glibc.

So after a bit of research, I discovered that I needed to run pacman -Sy base to update the base packages on the system.

However, that appeared to have killed my wireless. 

Modules ath_hal and ath_pci are not on the system any more.  Modprobe cannot find them

On the plus side, the programs I was having a problem with are now working.

Any advice?

tia

D

Last edited by dhodgeh (2008-04-04 23:25:59)

#2 2008-04-04 23:29:48

bender02

Re: ath0 gone after base update

Well you should really update the whole system, not just base ('pacman -Su'), since the those drivers are not in base, but kernel is, and if you upgrade kernel (eg .23->.24) you need to update drivers as well.

#3 2008-04-05 00:06:45

dhodgeh

Re: ath0 gone after base update

Fortunately, eth0 is alive and well.

I did try 'pacman -Su' and was informed that the local database was up to date.

Now when I initially installed Arch, I had to specify an intel_wireless option at the kernel boot prompt when I started the system from the install CD.  I never had to do anything else to the wireless drivers until now.

So, I decided to install madwifi, since this driver had been working when I was screwing around with Gentoo on the thing.

Wireless is now back up, but I'm still puzzled as to what transpired during this sequence of events.

d

Board footer