You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-12 18:04:21

evilviper77

Wired internet doesn't work, even after fresh install?

So i'm fairly new to the linux stuff, but for some reason I cannot get my wired internet (eth0) to work. Bear with me because I've got a decent tale to give to fill you in:

After successfully installing archlinux for the first time, I was able to get the internet and everything working, but my boot manager was messed up. So I got a friend to fix that problem for me and I started updating my system through pacman. After successfully updating and changing the pacman mirror files I started downloading/installing gnome (and gnome-extra). I left it overnight and when I woke up in the morning all hell broke loose. After rebooting my computer and logging back into arch I found a number of my bash commands no longer worked (ifconfig, iwconfig, halt, shudown, reboot, dhcpcd, just to name a few I remember) so I had to manually turn off my labtop. At that point I decided to reinstall linux.

After reinstalling linux my network troubles began and from that point on I can no longer connect to the pacman servers and my eth0 times out upon booting into linux every time (for those of you wondering, yes I did change in rc.conf the eth0="dhcp" like I was supposed to). I get a transient failure or something of the likes. The wierdest thing is this:

When trying to reinstall linux using the ftp install I can configure my network (step 0), but when I get to trying to connect to a server and downloading the packages I fail to connect to the servers! Can someone please tell me what is going on?

Just for a few more backgrounds, I am installing arch64 on an intel core-duo processor with it dual-booting with windows vista ultimate. I don't think any of this is the problem considering I had it working once up a time, but now for some reason it doesn't work so i'm hoping for my wiser archlinux users to help me out.

EDIT: In a new turn of developments it seems my wired connection is now malfunctioning. Although just 5 hours ago at a friends house (when I was still having linux network problems) it worked just fine. My network card is a Intel(r) PRO/1000 PL card. Can my linux half screw up my windows half ethernet card and vice versa?

Just tried to uninstall and then reinstall my ethernet card and my wired connection still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Last edited by evilviper77 (2008-04-12 18:27:18)

#2 2008-04-12 22:18:52

tigrmesh
IRC Op

Re: Wired internet doesn't work, even after fresh install?

Are you having the same problem in vista?  Maybe you need a new cable or a connection is loose.

#3 2008-04-13 02:39:41

evilviper77

Re: Wired internet doesn't work, even after fresh install?

Well after many hours of toil, it seems that it has now decided to work. Still have no clue why my wired connection failed for that duration of time, but whatever. Archlinux is installed and running fine so I suppose all ends well. big_smile

Board footer