You are not logged in.

#51 2008-03-22 12:19:11

pestilence
Website

Re: Arch at the workplace??

Laptop loaded with Arch both work and home smile

Last edited by pestilence (2008-03-22 12:19:23)

#52 2008-03-29 00:34:50

kezar

I run Arch on my laptop, on my desktop, on my server and at work on 2 servers for the moment (maybe more soon). I also run it at my parent's, my younger brother and sister use it nearly everyday.

#53 2008-03-30 02:15:47

sajro

I guess it's not 'work,' but I am the resident student IT guy for my K-12 (American-speak for primary and secondary schools, ages ~5-17). The official IT guy (8th grade Science teacher) is an Apple man, I'm a Linux guy, and together we make a team of condescending UNIX-ness that instills fear in the teacher who locks up Word by clicking too many things at once.

"I think I broke Word..."
"It was already broken; Microsoft made it!"

He's got himself a Macbook, I have a desktop running Arch and will soon have a laptop with it. On all my systems, I use Fluxbox and SLiM. We are preparing to switch the library research/word-processing computers and the two labs (altogether around 60 computers!) to a netboot + Wake-on-LAN system to centralise management and maintenance. They will be running Arch Linux, with IceWM with a theme a la Icebuntu's Human theme with a Windows-like panel. The reason for that is that these kids aren't all that technical, so if they go home and play with Linux, it'll most likely be Ubuntu. They'll boot it up and say "Oh! This works like in the lab!" and will ease migration.

I hope to someday be either a Sysadmin somewhere or a Google code monkey (ooh-eee-ooh-ah-ah), so either way I'm using Linux there.

#54 2008-03-31 17:05:19

zodmaner

sajro wrote:

I guess it's not 'work,' but I am the resident student IT guy for my K-12 (American-speak for primary and secondary schools, ages ~5-17). The official IT guy (8th grade Science teacher) is an Apple man, I'm a Linux guy, and together we make a team of condescending UNIX-ness that instills fear in the teacher who locks up Word by clicking too many things at once.

"I think I broke Word..."
"It was already broken; Microsoft made it!"

He's got himself a Macbook, I have a desktop running Arch and will soon have a laptop with it. On all my systems, I use Fluxbox and SLiM. We are preparing to switch the library research/word-processing computers and the two labs (altogether around 60 computers!) to a netboot + Wake-on-LAN system to centralise management and maintenance. They will be running Arch Linux, with IceWM with a theme a la Icebuntu's Human theme with a Windows-like panel. The reason for that is that these kids aren't all that technical, so if they go home and play with Linux, it'll most likely be Ubuntu. They'll boot it up and say "Oh! This works like in the lab!" and will ease migration.

I hope to someday be either a Sysadmin somewhere or a Google code monkey (ooh-eee-ooh-ah-ah), so either way I'm using Linux there.

Oh man, that's so cool! big_smile I wish there was such thing back when I'm in K-12. smile

BTW, might I ask what file browser do you intended to use? Thunar?

#55 2008-04-22 15:41:05

kikinovak
Website

I'm a sysadmin for eleven small public libraries in South France. My job consists in 1) installing and maintaining the library management software (PMB), 2) installing clients desktops in the libraries, 3) show people how to handle the software. Until recently, I've been using CentOS for the job, but after discovering Arch, I'm currently replacing all the CentOS installs by Arch desktops, for a simple reason: I like Arch, no more no less. (Years of Slackware + some FreeBSD knowledge = instant at-home-feeling cool). I asked OVH, but they don't offer Arch as a distro choice on their dedicated servers (despite my nagging lol), so our main database server will remain on CentOS.

At home, two workstations and two laptops, all running Arch.

Dyslexics have more fnu.

#56 2008-04-22 20:26:50

radumash

I am unemployed.

#57 2008-04-29 07:46:09

unexpectedly

briancurtin wrote:

we're a windows shop, so all of my the machines at my desk are XP
i thought about installing arch on a box i had laying around but then i wasnt really sure what i'd do with arch on it

i'm transitioning my work to all linux away from m$. ...and i'm now testing arch to see if i want to transition from *buntu to arch!  for the last half year or so, we've been in a mixed environment where a few key machines are still in XP land. i find the inherent connectivity within linux to be amazing. 

want a windows shared folder somewhere? i wrote a script to mount it, wrapped around this key statment:
    smbmount //${WIN}/${SHARE} ~/$WIN $OPTIONS # 2>/dev/null

i'm at home and can directly edit and save files on computers at work or on our live site via sshfs. in XP, sshfs alone is only available by paying windblows developers $80.

i use kubuntu and in konqueror, i just type smb://winhost/share and the folder is right there. in kde-land, i use hotkeys to setup text macros for awesomely fast automated replies to e-mails... one keystroke is a greeting with closure then leaves the cursor in the middle.

For the web-dev, i use gimp, dia, gphpedit, quanta, and kate.
For the office, we are all on OO.org

For our "production" (online retail with customer support) i'm working on my own all inclusive web based interface.

i will never voluntarily use m$ for computer "work" ever again. oh, i'm new here, too. ;D

smile chris

#58 2008-04-30 01:51:28

tigrmesh
IRC Op

unexpectedly wrote:

i use hotkeys to setup text macros for awesomely fast automated replies to e-mails... one keystroke is a greeting with closure then leaves the cursor in the middle.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, what program are you using for your hotkeys/text macros?  The one program I miss from Windows is AutoHotkey.

In terms of using Arch at work, unfortunately I use Quickbooks and other proprietary (and expensive) Windows accounting and billing software.  I don't see anything comparable for linux at this time.  It's too bad.  I use XP on a 2GB machine, and it is slooooooow.  I love coming home to my zippy Arch install.

#59 2008-04-30 05:31:29

unexpectedly

Hi Tigrmesh,

Actually, that's in KDE. KHotKeys, found by way of the accessability area. There are actually all kinds of programs that can replace Quickbooks (and other accounting) for free. The "problem" is the concept of tying work-flows together... that elusive "ERP" concept.

To run with the tangent--- a very important "workplace" one at that:

In my 1000+ hours of researching it over the last year+, I have learned that anyone who actually implements something has to perform a magic trick to show how smart they are. Like openbravo's use of precompiling java modules into tomcat and ant. wtf?! They're also using postgresql, but it's easy enough to google to find what you need to do. 10,000 people have already asked "how can I ____ in postgresql like _____ in MySql."

There are a couple of simple free and easy accounting apps that could replace QB in the drop of a hat; sql-ledger and web erp are 2 that I could implement and also have all of QB's data within 2 weeks of implementation. Both of these programs use MySQL for storing accounting data and either perl or php to serve the pages. At least then you can build the connectors as needed to do stuff with the data from there.

My goal is to have all of our workflows served, fed, and performed via http within my company. The real problem is choosing web software packages that do what I want and then gluing them together. ck-erp is doing some of this... I'm still working on some core pieces of our technology so the above crucial step is around the corner...

smile Chris

tigrmesh wrote:
unexpectedly wrote:

i use hotkeys to setup text macros for awesomely fast automated replies to e-mails... one keystroke is a greeting with closure then leaves the cursor in the middle.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, what program are you using for your hotkeys/text macros?  The one program I miss from Windows is AutoHotkey.

In terms of using Arch at work, unfortunately I use Quickbooks and other proprietary (and expensive) Windows accounting and billing software.  I don't see anything comparable for linux at this time.  It's too bad.  I use XP on a 2GB machine, and it is slooooooow.  I love coming home to my zippy Arch install.

Board footer