You are not logged in.

#1 2004-07-22 13:00:44

Greycloack

imap server doesn't run

Hello,
I decided, as an experiment, to run a mail server on my comp.
I installed postfix, and it's running rather well, combined with pine and I can send mail to outer internet addresses without a glitch.

Now I decided I want to set up an Imap server so I could connect to it from wherever I want...

I installed the imap package, browsed around in the washington.edu website which kept claiming it's "plug and play"
I also added

imapd:all

to my /etc/hosts.allow

Well so far it doesn't work...
when I run Imap (by ssh-ing into the computer) I get this :

[root@shabi omri]# imapd
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS AUTH=LOGIN] shabi.homelinux.org IMAP4rev1 2004.352 at Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:53:49 -0700 (PDT)

the domain name is of course shabi.homelinux.org, hostname is shabi...
but I can't connect to it, I tried both with mozilla and by telneting to port 143 and I get access refused...

anyone can help me please?

Grey

#2 2004-07-22 13:46:45

Greycloack

Re: imap server doesn't run

ok,
further information...

If I use pine from the server to send an email to myself I have to address it to :
omri@shabi.shabi.homelinux.org

which I find a bit odd but then it gets there and I have a new mail in my inbox...

on the other hand if I use an external account.. for example my university one I have two options :
If I mail it to omri@shabi.shabi.homelinux.org I get host not found from the university server.
If I mail it to omri@shabi.homelinux.org it's sent with no problems, but I get no mail in my inbox...

Board footer