You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-08 07:34:49

_Marco_

[Solved] Show Connection in Use [netcfg]

hi!
I've just installed netcfg2 and it works great big_smile (thanks iphitus for your work!)
I've a stupid question in mind..
Actually I start manually my wireless connection (if active) and I leave arch connect to my eth0 automatically (simply adding eth0 on rc.conf interfaces).
what I ask you is .. is there a way to show what is the currently active connection ?
(like the crappy NetworkManager applet do)
ex. eth0 -> cable_connection
     wlan0 -> SSID

thanks for your answers.
bye!

Last edited by _Marco_ (2008-05-10 07:52:44)

#2 2008-05-08 07:42:57

The_Major

Re: [Solved] Show Connection in Use [netcfg]

Is there any reason you need to use both connections at the same time? I use netcfg2 to connect to wifi whenever a cable is unavailable or inconvenient and manage the wired connection with ifplugd. So if wifi is not available I just plug in the cable and ifplugd and dhcpcd do their magic.

If you have to use both connections, why not set up conky to monitor the traffic on both interfaces and that will show you which is being used (ie the one with all the traffic).

Who Knows? Who Cares? Who will remember anyway?

#3 2008-05-08 07:58:42

_Marco_

Hi, thanks for the reply
I only use one connection at a time, when I need wifi I disconnect the cable restart the network daemon and run 'netcfg2 wifi'
I think I'll try ifplugd (I hope it fix the long /etc/rc.d/network stop/start time, because it wait for ethernet timeout)
anyway I'd like to know if exists a more direct approach to show what is the current connection in use (I don't like very much conky because it drys too many resources)
bye

#4 2008-05-10 07:59:15

_Marco_

I found the solution by myself,
it's very easy but I'll post it here in the hope it can help someone
"iwconfig" command shows the current "access point" no need for external tools.
_Marco_

#5 2008-05-10 09:10:27

tomk
Forum Fellow

_Marco_ wrote:

I disconnect the cable restart the network daemon and run 'netcfg2 wifi'
I think I'll try ifplugd (I hope it fix the long /etc/rc.d/network stop/start time, because it wait for ethernet timeout)

The long timeout results from you restarting the network init script with no cable attached. netcfg does not need the network script, so if you're switching from wired to wifi, just stop network, then run netcfg.
You might find it useful to set up a profile for your wired connection too - then you could manage both of them with netcfg.

#6 2008-05-10 09:38:09

_Marco_

@tomk:I'll try your suggestion, Thanks!

Board footer