You are not logged in.

#26 2004-08-02 08:13:32

dp
Website

Re: For those interested in minimalist window managers...

wmi is in extra, enjoy

by the way: i made also a pkg for wmizer (configuration tool for wmi using python and pygtk), but unfortunately it needs pygtk 2.3.x (2.2 is the stable, 2.3 the unstable branch for now) so we need to wait for pygtk 2.4 to come out for wmizer

for people who want to try:

# $Id: PKGBUILD,v 1.1 2004/08/02 07:44:32 damir Exp $
# Maintainer: damir <damir@archlinux.org>
# Contributor: damir <damir@archlinux.org>

pkgname=wmizer
pkgver=0.1
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="a configuration tool for wmi"
url="http://clientes.netvisao.pt/petrucci/"
license=""
depends=('wmi' 'python' 'pygtk>=2.3' 'libglade' 'pango')

source=($url/downloads/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)

build() {
   cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver

python setup.py install --root=$startdir/pkg
}

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#27 2004-08-02 08:55:48

dp
Website

after experimenting with wmi, i have some problems:

- the ~/.wmi/theme.conf is not read (i get always the boring grey default) - i downloaded the theme.conf file from the wmi webpage

- aterm looses keyboad sometimes and must be killed - in the output, wmi tells "blabla ... (Bad Window) ..." ... especially this happens, if i slot an aterm (while in background something happens inside) and then unslot it (to use it again)

anyone having the same trouble under arch?

ion has much less features, but all tend to work always; wmi has a lot of very promising features, but some lead to trouble for me

#28 2004-08-02 09:30:59

vladtepes

Greetings,

hmmm...i use screen now for 3 or 4 month i think
its running on my server...
i connect to my server with putty (or ssh) to view the running overnet client...

its usefull, because im not the only one who is working "with" the server, and with screen, more people can edit/work on the same "screen" (we can both add/search etc in overnet at the same time)

at beginning, i didnt find any other possibillity to do that, but now, i like to do that with screen... wink

[img]http://www.ccc.de/campaigns/music/boykott1.gif[/img]

#29 2004-08-02 11:10:01

bleak

dp: I'm the author of wmizer and pygtk 2.4 should be out until September. I've tryed to port it to stable libs but i got into a few problems so I decided to stick with unstable. Also 2.3.94 is very stable.

A new version of wmizer should be out soon...I already added support for common.conf...working on actions.conf now. Thanks for the PKGBUILD.

The problems you're having with it is not related to arch. Wmi still has a few bugs but the development is very active. Be sure to post you're bugs and they'll get fixed very fast.

#30 2004-08-02 14:06:39

Paul

dp wrote

aterm looses keyboad sometimes and must be killed - in the output, wmi tells "blabla ... (Bad Window) ..."

I posted a question about the 'BadWindow" problem on the WMI forum - No reply yet, but I'll let you know.

dp wrote

the ~/.wmi/theme.conf is not read (i get always the boring grey default)

What happens when you start wmi?

#31 2004-08-02 14:08:23

dp
Website

bleak wrote:

dp: I'm the author of wmizer and pygtk 2.4 should be out until September. I've tryed to port it to stable libs but i got into a few problems so I decided to stick with unstable. Also 2.3.94 is very stable.

A new version of wmizer should be out soon...I already added support for common.conf...working on actions.conf now. Thanks for the PKGBUILD.

cool, didn't know that you are the author - great job!

pygtk 2.3.94 is stable enough, but i dont want to flag it ood (out of date), because it's officially classified unstable --- de maintainainer of pygtk should decide if we go to 2.3 or wait for 2.4

i tested 2.3 and didnt have any problems with it, but now, i'm back to 2.2 to be "current" for building

as soon as we have a pygtk in the repos with that wmizer works, i will include it in extra (it's altready in my local tree, but not commited)

bleak wrote:

The problems you're having with it is not related to arch. Wmi still has a few bugs but the development is very active. Be sure to post you're bugs and they'll get fixed very fast.

good to know :-) i will have a look at the bugs there, thanx

wmi looks really promising - hope for a great 10 release

#32 2004-08-02 16:02:48

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

dp wrote:

pygtk 2.3.94 is stable enough, but i dont want to flag it ood (out of date), because it's officially classified unstable --- de maintainainer of pygtk should decide if we go to 2.3 or wait for 2.4

Maybe there should be a package for in in unstable or testing?

Dusty

#33 2004-08-02 16:17:24

dp
Website

Dusty wrote:
dp wrote:

Maybe there should be a package for in in unstable or testing?

Dusty

pygtk-devel i can add to unstable (already had  the idea sometimes before), BUT (!!!), as for now, pacman do not support provides=('pkg=2.3') but only provides=('pkg'), there is no clean way to do so

if i add a pygtk-devel to unstable, and make wmizer depend on it (instead of making it depend on pygtk>=2.3 and use provides('pkg=2.3') in pygtk-devel), when the pygtk 2.4 comes out i need to modify wmizer to depend on pygtk>=2.4 instead of the pygtk-devel pkg

if pacman would support provides=() inkl. the version number, then it would be possible (and already done ;-) )

(that's also the reason we have 'x-server' as a virtual dependency: xorg (aka x) had provides=(xfree86), but unfortunately they had different pkgvers) --- as they are equal (in versioning), a virtual dependency is possible; pygtk and pygtk-devel are not equal in versioning, so no virtual dependency is possible

#34 2004-08-08 20:50:32

Vrok
Website

Mhm... I'm just interested how you use IM programs with those poor WMs. How do you know when someone's sending you a message since you don't have a blinking icon in tray? wink

Now consider the tortoise and the eagle.
"Small Gods" by The Great Terry.

#35 2004-08-08 21:58:35

dpb

Vrok wrote:

Mhm... I'm just interested how you use IM programs with those poor WMs.

Poor WMs?? You evidently don't know what you're talking about. :twisted:

Vrok wrote:

How do you know when someone's sending you a message since you don't have a blinking icon in tray? wink

There's many ways. Sound. Popups. etc. etc.

#36 2004-08-08 22:37:51

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

centericq doesn't know anything about desktop trays... it's smart enough to ignore things like retarded GUI features. wink

#37 2004-08-09 05:19:47

dpb

Dusty wrote:

centericq doesn't know anything about desktop trays... it's smart enough to ignore things like retarded GUI features. wink

Btw. Does centericq support äöå-letters? I couldn't get it working with them when I used centericq some time ago... is it possible?

#38 2004-08-09 07:41:08

dp
Website

Vrok wrote:

Mhm... I'm just interested how you use IM programs with those poor WMs. How do you know when someone's sending you a message since you don't have a blinking icon in tray? wink

i use kopete and it has systray-icons + kde-notification popups - both fine working in xfce4

#39 2004-08-09 16:59:19

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

dpb wrote:
Dusty wrote:

Btw. Does centericq support äöå-letters? I couldn't get it working with them when I used centericq some time ago... is it possible?

I don't really use the non-ascii letters, but on my keyboard, if I'm using centericq and I press the alt key plus any of the keyboard letters, I get the extended character set. I don't know exactly how they map though.

Dusty

#40 2004-08-09 20:39:38

Vrok
Website

dpb wrote:

Poor WMs?? You evidently don't know what you're talking about. :twisted:

Yhm, I tried aewm, evilwm (realy poor) and ion. The last one isn't really bad, I would even say it's a bit usable wink But I don't like to have all windows full-screened.

There's many ways. Sound. Popups. etc. etc.

Oh, right. I haven't thought about it wink

#41 2004-08-09 22:36:04

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

But I don't like to have all windows full-screened.

There are ways of making a rather normal-looking desktop-ish thing in ion. I think it was called floating desktop. (haven't used ion in a while..so i dont really remember) In this desktop, windows are not maximized by default and you can even resize them.

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#42 2004-08-10 01:04:20

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

pwm is built into ion, so you can make a floating or tileable workspace, but not at the same time. Why you'd want a floating desktop really is beyond me, but hey, we can't all be eccentric.

In Ion, not all windows are full screen. You break it up into tiles, so you can have multiple windows *that don't overlap*. The nonoverlapping takes all the mouse positioning out of it.

I'm preferring wmi to ion now, it allows floating and tiled windows on the same workspace.  It's better than ion in some ways, but occasionally buggy.

Dusty

#43 2004-08-10 20:47:11

Vrok
Website

Dusty wrote:

I'm preferring wmi to ion now, it allows floating and tiled windows on the same workspace.  It's better than ion in some ways, but occasionally buggy.

After reading this I decided to chceck that wmi... Whoah! It's really great. It has few shortcomings (I can't dock my Psi icon! But I saw some screenshots with wmi and WMaker dockapps - psi can make WMaker icon, so it may be a solution), but I like it. Especially when coding, then I need to have many windows opened, and with wmi I can navigate between them very efficient (it was horrible under WindowMaker). Time will show if I will like it, but now... I doubt it (yeah, that ugly old habits are over me).

#44 2004-08-11 03:15:04

bleak

I'm glad to see that many people are into wmi but if you try it and find it buggy please take in consideration that it is still under heavy development.

Also there's a major change being implemented in the floating windows engine. I think it'll make it easier to solve some of the present conflicts.

#45 2004-08-11 04:06:51

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

bleak wrote:

I'm glad to see that many people are into wmi but if you try it and find it buggy please take in consideration that it is still under heavy development.

No kidding, the improvement from 0.8 to 0.9 in so little time was an impressive feat.  The next version ought to be just right. smile

Dusty

Board footer