You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-29 00:48:52

Amphaeon

how to replace windows network in a school?

Hello everyone i would like to let you all know that i love arch and use it non stop at home, but now im wanting to learn how i can implement this into my workplace(school system). The biggest issue i have is that im going to need to learn how i can implement romaing profiles that will mount certain drives based on the group they belong to. Also we have proprietary school software, but if i understand correctly i should be able to have samba on the linux servers and they can then use windows or possibly a emulator to run the program. please give links/suggestions.

#2 2008-05-29 07:01:25

DasWu

Re: how to replace windows network in a school?

I cant help you with the profile stuff. The software you want to use you should probably test with wine before migrating.
You only need samba if you want access files (or printers?) on a windows server or with a windows machine on a Linux server.
If you want to migrate the whole infrastructure you probably want to go for NFS

cheers
Wu

--- under construction ---

#3 2008-05-29 07:26:21

Stythys
Website

mount drives based on groups? that's easily done in /etc/fstab....

and yeah, test all the winblows software with wine first, and if that fails it should work in a virtualbox environment

[home page] -- [code / configs]

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you."
-- Bregol

#4 2008-05-29 13:48:31

Amphaeon

Stythys wrote:

and yeah, test all the winblows software with wine first, and if that fails it should work in a virtualbox environment

i mean i need to mount drives based on user. so if teacher logs in they can access their network drive. if a student logs in it unmounts the teachers and mounts their drive.

yes i will test with wine thx.

#5 2008-05-29 13:49:55

Amphaeon

DasWu wrote:

I cant help you with the profile stuff. The software you want to use you should probably test with wine before migrating.
You only need samba if you want access files (or printers?) on a windows server or with a windows machine on a Linux server.
If you want to migrate the whole infrastructure you probably want to go for NFS

cheers
Wu

im wanting to do something similar to how active directory in windows maintains the permissions and settings. that will migrate with the user name all over the network.

#6 2008-05-29 16:57:05

Stythys
Website

Amphaeon wrote:
Stythys wrote:

i mean i need to mount drives based on user. so if teacher logs in they can access their network drive. if a student logs in it unmounts the teachers and mounts their drive.

yes i will test with wine thx.

yeah you can do that by just modifying /etc/fstab

[home page] -- [code / configs]

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you."
-- Bregol

Board footer