You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-31 19:01:33

kontrast
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

Having trouble sharing External Hard Drive through network.

Hello,

I am currently trying to use HAL, nfsd, portmap, and nfslock to mount my external harddrive, allow it's contents to be shared to my other computers IP address, and then have my other computer connect.

Right now, my secondary computer (posting on main) cannot connect to either the external hard drive share, NOR the home share I have.

But, my main computer has connected to the home share on my secondary computer.

I mainly need these things: How to correctly set up my network shares so they both work, and any nice tip's on this whole networking wink It's a very messy setup process I must admit.

#2 2008-05-31 22:55:41

kontrast
Website

Re: Having trouble sharing External Hard Drive through network.

Update: Alright, so I have everything almost working, except for one small setback.

My external harddrive, for some reason, does not want to mount at boot. The way it was normally mounted was by clicking on its icon in the panel via thunar. I noticed that mounting it in the terminal worked aswell. But, during boot, I get the error Special Device /dev/sdb1 does not exist, and leads to my EHDD not being mounted, and not being shared. Any ideas?

#3 2008-06-02 13:40:56

zenlord
Website

Your network should be up and running as well as your nfsd before your mount-scripts... Are they?

Zl.

#4 2008-06-02 16:27:54

kontrast
Website

If you mean mount-scripts as in my /etc/rc.local file, which mounts the remote network shares, yes they are loaded AFTER my network, nfsd, etc are loaded.

But the real problem I'm having is:

My External Hard Drive will not be mounted via the rc.local, it gives me the error /dev/sdb1 not found.

Board footer