You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-06 20:56:17

GordonFreeman

Cannot establish a connection to my WPA2 encrypted wireless network

Hello everybody,

I just successfully installed Archlinux on my Thinkpad R50e notebook, now I'm trying to connect to my wireless network.
I installed the ipw2200 driver for my wireless card (yes this is the right driver and hwdetect --show-net also displayed this one), then I rebooted and followed the wiki article. My wireless card is mapped to eth1, so I run:

ifconfig eth1 up

(iwlist scan is listing my access point)

iwconfig eth1 essid MY_ESSID key s:MYENCRYPTIONKEY

dhcpcd eth1

The call to dhcpcd times out after a while, and the whole time I never see any wlan activity indicated by the wlan activity led on my notebook.

And if I run "iwconfig" it displays for eth1 that as essid is MY_ESSID set and the key, too, also iwlist scan displays all settings of my access point correctly.

Do you have any idea what is going wrong?

Greetings Gordon.

#2 2008-06-07 14:27:52

chapet

Re: Cannot establish a connection to my WPA2 encrypted wireless network

I had a similar problem a while ago,
to make a long story short I got it working by commenting out the following lines in my rc.conf

#eth0="eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255"
#eth0="dhcp"
#wlan0="dhcp"
#INTERFACES=(lo eth0 wlan0)

and installing wicd
After that it works like a charm smile
Hope it helps

#3 2008-06-07 14:46:02

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Configuring encrypted networks with iwconfig only works for WEP-encrypted networks wink. The easiest way is to set up wpa_supplicant and make netcfg work with the external wpa_supplicant config, imho. That's how I do it over here (WPA2).µ

No need for Wicd there, but I have the impression unlike netcfg v1 v2 (the present one) only wants to connect to the network you specified (i.e. if you specify an ESSID in the netcfg configuration file). It could just be me though; too lazy to try if it works without atm tongue.

Last edited by B (2008-06-07 14:48:05)

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#4 2008-06-07 15:35:31

GordonFreeman

Hi,

thanks for you replies. While waiting for an answer I continued with configuring my system and I installed also NetworkManager and NetworkManager is not able to establish a connection either. But I'm using NetworkManager to connect to my access point on my other notebook from which I'm just writing this posting.

Is it possible that my card does not support WPA2, although I don't think that hardware support for the encryption type is needed.

Board footer