You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-06 17:59:24

Stalafin

Setting a proxy server for my entire outgoing connections

I have moved to another place for my internship, where I can access the Internet only via a proxy in my network.

So, for firefox it's kinda easy to set everything up properly (ticking the 'autodetect proxy-server for this network' option solved it), but I don't know about everything else. Tried to search the Wiki, but that didn't really help.

Soooooo.... I have proxy addresses for HTTP, FTP, and SOCK5 Proxies. How do I have to configure my system such that a) pacman, b) firefox, c) gajim, and d) pidgin use those proxies automatically?

Apart from that: I am using netcfg2 to create an internet connection. This very need for a proxy is only at the place I am living right now, and only for the next two months.

Is there a way to specifically tie those proxies to my network profile, such that I don't have to turn on/off those annoying thingies all the time?

EDIT: I forgot - IRC should work too (with xchat-gnome), as well as claws-mail. smile

Last edited by Stalafin (2008-06-06 18:06:09)

#2 2008-06-06 21:26:44

elide

Re: Setting a proxy server for my entire outgoing connections

Use tsocks in your .xsession.

#3 2008-06-10 17:37:09

Stalafin

Re: Setting a proxy server for my entire outgoing connections

I don't really get tsocks.

So I installed tsocks via pacman (from another place, of course). I was told to type some stuff into tsocks.conf (I didn't know, where it was located; I just created one in /etc/).

What do I have to do know? And moreover - there seems to be another tool: dante. Does anyone recommend it?

Board footer