You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-06 22:34:14

longhornxtreme

Traceroute broken?

Traceroute installed by pacman never seems to find more than one hop...

Traceroute on a debian install I have works just perfectly so I know its not the destination IP that's the problem...

Is there any configuration of Arch that I don't have set up correctly or should pay attentnion to?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

James

#2 2004-08-07 01:50:57

dp
Website

Re: Traceroute broken?

traceroute works fine for me, but i dont use it regularly, because i use lft (level4traceroute), that works better for most hosts

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-08-07 03:42:10

longhornxtreme

I'm betting I have a problem in my configuration....  lft gives me this error...

LFT can't seem to round-trip.  Local packet filter in the way?

I had turned off firestarter to run lft so its not the firewall... and I don't think I have any sniffing programs running....

Any ideas?

#4 2004-08-07 05:09:31

dp
Website

what kernel do you use?
ip-chains?
your network is working, right?

this is indeed strange - it seems that not all packets come back or can be sent out (that's how i interpret your lft-output)

#5 2004-08-07 06:34:17

longhornxtreme

I'm sitting on the stock Arch 2.6 kernel have only had arch on my desk for a few days now... through a NIC that uses the tulip module... DHCP is working so is the network...

Maybe my kernel doesn't have ipchains turned on...

If you think thats the problem I'll go dl the sources and set up a new kernel... just didn't want to bother with it till I had decided I was keeping Arch on my desk...

#6 2004-08-07 07:30:32

dp
Website

longhornxtreme wrote:

I'm sitting on the stock Arch 2.6 kernel have only had arch on my desk for a few days now... through a NIC that uses the tulip module... DHCP is working so is the network...

Maybe my kernel doesn't have ipchains turned on...

If you think thats the problem I'll go dl the sources and set up a new kernel... just didn't want to bother with it till I had decided I was keeping Arch on my desk...

no, the stock-kernel should work fine - i suspect somewhere in the config, there is something modified, but i'm not a network expert - maybe Xentac can help with ideas

#7 2004-08-07 09:29:39

longhornxtreme

no, the stock-kernel should work fine - i suspect somewhere in the config, there is something modified, but i'm not a network expert - maybe Xentac can help with ideas

Well I haven't really touched any of the configuration alone from editing rc.conf to load up my appropriate modules at boot time.  I'm still pretty much a newb when it comes to configuring Linux this way... I've just fallen in love with pacman :-) 

Do you have anything off the top of your head that would result from not configuring anything from Arch's default?

I really appreciate your time! I know you have alot more stuff to worry about....

James

#8 2004-08-07 12:39:50

dp
Website

longhornxtreme wrote:

Well I haven't really touched any of the configuration alone from editing rc.conf to load up my appropriate modules at boot time.  I'm still pretty much a newb when it comes to configuring Linux this way... I've just fallen in love with pacman :-) 

Do you have anything off the top of your head that would result from not configuring anything from Arch's default?

hmm ... not sure

you can check routing:

[damir@Asteraceae /]$ route 
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
default         router          0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

but  ifyour routing would be broken, then most probably your internet-connection would not work right

what DAEMONS do you load in rc.conf? in what order?

is your system up-to-date?

(just guessing - no idea what can else be wrong)

longhornxtreme wrote:

I really appreciate your time! I know you have alot more stuff to worry about....

he he ... yes ...  but it's in a way a time-management experiment: i learn for exams and checking the forum every 2 or 3 hours means, i make breaks every 2 or 3 hours and am organized :-)

#9 2004-08-07 23:29:06

longhornxtreme

The system gets a Pacman -Syu quite often...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
rc.conf

MODULES=(!usbserial !ide-scsi tulip snd-ice1712 ohci_hcd)

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)

gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

DAEMONS=(syslogd klogd !pcmcia network netfs crond portmap fam kdm)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still scratching my head over this issue.  Maybe this will help...

#10 2004-08-08 15:52:37

dp
Website

longhornxtreme wrote:

The system gets a Pacman -Syu quite often...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
rc.conf

MODULES=(!usbserial !ide-scsi tulip snd-ice1712 ohci_hcd)

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)

gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

DAEMONS=(syslogd klogd !pcmcia network netfs crond portmap fam kdm)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still scratching my head over this issue.  Maybe this will help...

hmm ... i have all except netfs in DAEMONS - do you really need it? try disabling it

#11 2004-08-08 23:13:57

longhornxtreme

I honestly don't know what it does.  I'll go try disabling it...

Board footer