You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-13 23:26:21

cujo

Wireless slow to start after suspend

I have a lenovo thinkpad (t61) running kde and I use knetworkmanager to handle the wireless connection.  It works fine except for one small glitch.  After I wake my laptop from a suspend, it takes a couple of minutes before it will attempt to connect to the network.  This is quite annoying.

I'd love to fix this, but I'm not clear on where to start.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

#2 2008-06-15 13:39:38

ThomasAdam

Re: Wireless slow to start after suspend

cujo wrote:

I have a lenovo thinkpad (t61) running kde and I use knetworkmanager to handle the wireless connection.  It works fine except for one small glitch.  After I wake my laptop from a suspend, it takes a couple of minutes before it will attempt to connect to the network.  This is quite annoying.

I'd love to fix this, but I'm not clear on where to start.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

Is this using tuxonice, or the suspend stuff built into the kernel?  I would suggest blacklisting your wireless module in any case.

-- Thomas Adam

#3 2008-06-15 17:25:55

cujo

I use pm-suspend.

What do you mean by blacklisting it?  If I blacklist it, won't it cease to start up at all?

#4 2008-06-15 17:28:45

ThomasAdam

cujo wrote:

I use pm-suspend.

What do you mean by blacklisting it?  If I blacklist it, won't it cease to start up at all?

Yes -- not all modules take kindly to being suspended, so you would on resume just have to then tell it to reinsert and resync -- you shouldn't notice any downtime, since I do much the same with tuxonice without any noticable side-effects.

-- Thomas Adam

#5 2008-06-22 05:02:57

hotloo

Same problem happened to me too, when i use the pm-suspend and my laptop seemed to have suspended perfectly, but when i wake it up , the wireless didnt work anymore~~how can i fix this ? 
my laptop is asus a8tc .    the wireless is atheros~

thanks in advance.

诚朴雄伟,励学敦行

#6 2008-06-22 13:54:33

kjon

Have a look at this:

#! /bin/bash
case $1 in
    suspend|hibernate)
    chvt 1
    sync && sync && sync
    echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
    /etc/rc.d/wicd stop
    dhcpcd -k ra0
    killall wpa_supplicant
    ifconfig ra0 down
    modprobe -rf rt61
    ;;
    resume|thaw)
    hdparm -B 241 /dev/sda
    modprobe rt61
    ifconfig ra0 up
    /etc/rc.d/wicd start
    /usr/lib/wicd/autoconnect.py &
    chvt 7
    ;;
esac

Basically, it a script which defines the behavior of my computer when suspends and resumes. You have to chmod'it +x and save it on /etc/pm/sleep.d (with some correlative name, like 00sleep, or whatever similar). The important stuff here is that _I_ remove the network module when the computer goes to sleep and its inserted back when resuming. That simple, but efective workaround, finished with the ACPI mess.

A important note: My laptop, which is AR5006E powered, suspends using the same technique. However, apart from the master network module, I need to pull out all its dependencies. For example, in madwifi (not ath5k) the master module is ath_pci, but also I need to remove ath_hal, wlan and some others. You can gather additional information grepping on the modules.dep file asociated to your running kernel.

And sorry for my english. A long time ago I discovered that it sucks. tongue

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

#7 2008-06-22 16:56:25

hotloo

o~~~really thanks for your answer ~~ and  ,  i will check this out later , 'cause  the time in China is 1 o'clock in the morning and , i have a damn exam tomorrow ~~~~~ 

ps.  this is my first post here and  i am a newbie of arch ~~~~~

learning english in this way ~~~thank you , guys ~~~

Last edited by hotloo (2008-06-23 09:16:01)

诚朴雄伟,励学敦行

#8 2008-06-22 17:24:58

tigrmesh
IRC Op

@hotloo

Welcome to Arch!

Board footer