You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-29 15:22:42

mumpf

[solved] wiki wireless setup (atheros 5212)

The arch wiki http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wir … management
gives some instructions

*  The /etc/rc.conf file is sourced by the network script. Therefore, you may define and configure a simple wireless setup within /etc/rc.conf for a centralized approach with wlan_<interface>="<interface> essid <essid>" and

My rc.conf section:

# /etc/rc.conf
ath0="dhcp"
wlan_ath0="wlan0 essid MyEssid key s:wirelesspassword" # WPA
INTERFACES=(ath0)

My Atheros based card tp-link wn610g scans the networks, but I don't get a working connection

I have done these tests:
iwconfig is fine

iwlist ath0 scan | less shows the wpa-psk network including the signal, but I can't even ping the router (ping 192.168.1.1 -> "Network is unreachable". I'm using the ath_pci module (scanning the network does not work with the ath5k module).

What's wrong?

I have tried wicd, of course with the relevant wicd settings in rc.conf, but it crashes on my system (opening the submenu settings). Probably I haven't got enough memore (64 MB ram, icewm as Windows manager).

The adapter is working fine (excellent connection with Debian 4.0 stable and Windows Millenium).

Last edited by mumpf (2008-07-02 18:59:58)

#2 2008-06-29 18:06:49

timetrap
Website

Re: [solved] wiki wireless setup (atheros 5212)

Rather than wicd you could try netcfg.

I don't have an atheros card . . . Does your card get an ip address from the router? If not you will need to try running the following command:

dhcpcd ath0

If the command times out, you have not set up the encryption successfully.
I would suggest turning off the WPA and keeping the access point open until you get it working, then try it again with the encryption on.

Here are the commands you need run in order to bring up the interface:

iwconfig ath0 essid <essid name>
iwconfig ath0 mode managed
iwconfig ath0 key <wireless key>
ifconfig ath0 up
dhcpcd ath0

#3 2008-06-29 18:38:43

josomebody

I haven't had any luck with string passwords either with an atheros card. A hex key works with WEP for me, haven't tried WPA yet (don't feel like fooling with it, nobody around here is gonna pick up my wireless without standing on my porch with a laptop for two weeks cracking the WEP key due to the EM properties of this building, distance and RF interferance all around, not to mention a really weak router, but I digress). Maybe try generating a hex key and using that and seeing if it works.

Also, maybe this is superstition or delusion on my part, but wireless kernel modules are tricky things, and even if i remove the conflicting ones with modprobe sometimes it still doesn't wanna work, so I ! them out of my modules array and reboot. Could be worth a shot if you haven't done that yet.

: () { : | :& } ;:

#4 2008-06-29 18:55:25

moljac024

Have you tried netcfg2 ?

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#5 2008-06-29 22:32:36

iphitus
Forum Fellow

WPA doesnt work with iwconfig.... so that'd be why it doesnt work.

Try netcfg

#6 2008-06-29 22:53:59

timetrap
Website

iphitus wrote:

WPA doesnt work with iwconfig.... so that'd be why it doesnt work.

Try netcfg

That's why you should remove WPA until you have figured out if your card is working. Build up to it. Don't start with the hardest.

#7 2008-06-30 16:16:14

mumpf

Hi timetrap

Your iwconfig commands work without encryption. Thanks!

Hi moljac024

I can connect with wpa and netcfg2 K4 manually from root. I have set up rc.conf in order to load netcfg2 K4, but that doesn't work, probably there is an error in rc.conf. . Probably I must check the netcfg wiki once again.

Hi josomebody

I could connect using wpa on Debian stable and Windows Me (stable connection). So I think that this atheros card is great (price EUR 13!)

It seems to me that the wiki is not correct. According to the wiki a wpa-connection should be possible with this entry in rc.conf (without netcfg2)

wlan_ath0="wlan0 essid MyEssid key s:wirelesspassword" # WPA

Last edited by mumpf (2008-07-02 14:50:34)

#8 2008-06-30 18:04:20

timetrap
Website

mumpf wrote:

Windows Me

!!!

#9 2008-06-30 19:13:04

tomk
Forum Fellow

You are correct - the reference to WPA in that section of the wiki page is incorrect. Feel free to remove it.

WPA connections require wpa_supplicant, and are typically handled by front-ends like netcfg, wicd, networkmanager, etc.

#10 2008-07-02 15:00:14

mumpf

Hi tomk

Thanks for your eplanation and your encouragement. I have removed this line.
I have changed my rc.conf and netcfg now works without manual intervention
My working rc.conf now:

MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes"
MODULES=(yenta_socket pcnet_cs !ath5k ath_pci)
USELVM="no"

HOSTNAME="<my_hostname"
#eth0="dhcp"
ath0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(!eth0 ath0)
ROUTES=(!gateway)

NETWORKS=(K4)
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng hal netfs @crond  @net-profiles @alsa)

I'm not sure about the order. Neither in the daemons wiki http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Daemons nor in the rc.conf wiki http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rc.conf I could find clear indications which daemon to put where and which one I have to run in the background.

Last edited by mumpf (2008-07-02 15:14:44)

#11 2008-07-02 15:50:13

timetrap
Website

Looks like you picked the right order!

Backgrounding just means init will move on with the next step of the boot process BEFORE the current process has finished.

Putting a DAEMON in the background just allows the next step to happen faster.

Logically, you would WANT the hal/dbus DAEMONS to finish BEFORE moving on to the net-profiles DAEMON, but alsa and the net-profiles DAEMONS are mutually exclusive. So there is no need to have one start before the other.

(Hint: Bootup is controlled by the init process, which is configured with /etc/inittab, in turn inittab calls /etc/rc.sysinit which is where the /etc/rc.conf is called and then the DAEMONS are loaded)

Oh; it sounds like you have your problem solved, could you please go to your first post and edit it. Just add the tag [SOLVED] to the end of your post title.

Remember, only you can prevent forum fires.

Last edited by timetrap (2008-07-02 15:53:20)

Board footer