You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-08 15:51:02

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

firewall in Arch

Am I correct in assuming that a firewall (iptables) is not installed by default on Arch ? and we also have to start the daemon in rc.conf right?

I would also like to know what GUI program people use to manage their firewall. I am used to Firestarter, but now that I am using Openbox, I would not like to install so many Gnome dependencies.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#2 2008-07-08 15:56:26

dyscoria

Re: firewall in Arch

See here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firewalls#iptables

If you don't do any fancy stuff then this guide can get you using iptables without a frontend:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sim … wall_HOWTO

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#3 2008-07-08 16:04:33

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

dyscoria wrote:

See here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firewalls#iptables

If you don't do any fancy stuff then this guide can get you using iptables without a frontend:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sim … wall_HOWTO

All I need to be able to do is open/close certain ports so that I can ssh into it. Or maybe if I feel like trying NX..or something. But a front end would be nice and easier, IMO, since I am into heavy lifting with the firewall anyway.

Thanks for the links...I will check them out.

EDIT: Good set of choices for front-ends. I will check them out and see which one I like.

Last edited by Inxsible (2008-07-08 16:07:58)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2008-07-08 16:05:51

Ramses de Norre

No GUI smile The guide mentioned above is very good to begin with, if you've been through it you should be able to modify your firewall further yourself.

One note: I find it a lot easier to put everything directly in /etc/iptables.rules instead of issuing iptables commands, so instead of doing "iptables -A INPUT -j DROP" I'd add "-A INPUT -j DROP" to /etc/iptables.rules. But do it like you like it the best smile

#5 2008-07-08 16:09:07

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Ramses de Norre wrote:

No GUI smile The guide mentioned above is very good to begin with, if you've been through it you should be able to modify your firewall further yourself.

One note: I find it a lot easier to put everything directly in /etc/iptables.rules instead of issuing iptables commands, so instead of doing "iptables -A INPUT -j DROP" I'd add "-A INPUT -j DROP" to /etc/iptables.rules. But do it like you like it the best smile

Will try and follow the guide...but I am noob when it comes to networking and firewalls. Not my area of interest. But who knows...maybe I might just go GUIless smile

Forum Rules

#6 2008-07-08 22:30:16

z13l5ch31b3

[root@t4rg3t Downloads]# pacman -S iptables
Löse Abhängigkeiten auf...
Suche nach Zwischen-Konflikten...

Pakete: iptables-1.4.0-2  

Gesamtgröße der heruntergeladenen Pakete: 0,42 MB
Gesamtgröße der installierten Pakete: 1,26 MB

Installation fortsetzen? [J/n] j
:: Empfange Pakete von core...
 iptables-1.4.0-2-x86_64  429,9K  233,1K/s 00:00:02 [#####################] 100%
Prüfe Paketintegrität...
(1/1) Prüfe auf Dateikonflikte                      [#####################] 100%
(1/1) Installiere iptables                          [#####################] 100%
/sbin/ldconfig: /opt/lib32/lib/libe2p.so.2 ist kein symbolischer Link

/sbin/ldconfig: /opt/lib32/lib/libcom_err.so.2 ist kein symbolischer Link

/sbin/ldconfig: /opt/lib32/lib/libext2fs.so.2 ist kein symbolischer Link

/sbin/ldconfig: /opt/lib32/lib/libblkid.so.1 ist kein symbolischer Link

/sbin/ldconfig: /opt/lib32/lib/libuuid.so.1 ist kein symbolischer Link

/sbin/ldconfig: /opt/lib32/lib/libss.so.2 ist kein symbolischer Link

[root@t4rg3t Downloads]#

Whats up here ? any ideas ? Will be glad for help ...

#7 2008-07-08 22:36:57

dyscoria

z13l5ch31b3, it seems the OP's original question was answered, but how about you don't hijack this thread. Start up another thread if you've got a problem.

Anyway welcome to Arch smile

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

Board footer